Menu

Preschool - where to start - Math, Reading, Handwriting

I have another question for the group.  My second child (boy - 3 years and 3 months old) is at the point where I feel I need to start some sort of formal learning/ work.  Until now we have been reading to him everyday; playing with duplos, cars, trains; used leapfrog dvds, and take him outdoors - park, pool, etc whenever we can. I would like to get ideas on what/ where would be a good place to start for math,reading and writing.  

I have looked at HWT and like it.  I have used AAS with my older daughter (7 years old) and thought I could use their AAR program with my 3 year old. Confused about my options with math.  We did not use any formal math curriculum for our daughter when she was young and now we use Miquon and Singapore during summer and winter breaks (to supplement school) so would like to know if these programs are good for the preschool years as well.

Any other thoughts/ directions/ advice/ critiques would help - thanks!

I think you're doing great!  The reading and playing sound like just what a little guy needs.

For mathy type things, counting and number recognition would be a great start.  Sorting and grouping and stuff in a play based situation might be good.  So, "how many cars do you have, buddy?  Let's point to each one while we count."  "Hey, let's put all the teddy bears in one pile and all the dinos in the other.  Which has more?"  A formal curriculum seems a little, well... over the top? 

I'd say enjoy the preschool time and watch for what he's interested in.

It sounds like my son is about the same age as yours.  His older sister is in Kindergarten and he likes to do "homework" when she is.  I got him the Kumon "Let's sticker and Paste" and "Let's Fold Paper."  Oh, and also the Kumon book "My First Tracing Book."  He likes to do a page or two from those while she's working.  We also started doing a VERY unstructured "letter of the week" type of thing.  We don't use a curriculum.  I just keep up with which letter we're on.  We'll go to the library and find "A" books for the "A" week.  I'll have him find the letter "A" on the page when we're reading a book or point to "A" on a sign.  We're just doing letter recognition right now and not focusing as much on the letter sounds.  We do some letter sounds, but I'm not really pushing that yet.  His older sister started an ABC Bible verse book, so I started working on the letters with him at the same time.  It was just easier to keep up with that way.  I also just have him count things or sort things, like Wilma said.  We keep it really light and fun.

Will he enter kindergarten in two years (fall of 2015)? Will he be at a private school, a public school, redshirted (held back for another year)? What does your kindergarten look like? I knew that my son would enter kindergarten at a high performing academic public school and there would be over 20 kids in his kindergarten class. Based on that my priorities were having him-

1. read fluently at a second grade level by kindergarten because I don't like the emphasis on sight words in many public k's. I also wanted him to be able to read the classroom schedule that is often on the board or if he missed a direction be able to read a worksheet. I also wanted the joy in teaching him how to read.

2. form both upper case and lower case letters correctly (top to bottom), with proper spacing and positioning, quickly and accurately. Once kids get into a habit of forming letters incorrectly (bottom to top) it is a very hard habit to break. Kinder teacher do not have time to sit one on one with students to watch them form each letter. There is a lot of busy work writing in many kindergarten classrooms. My son loved being able to quickly write a sentence or words and then be one of the first kids to go outside to recess and play.

3.  Learn to write, read, and count numbers to 100. Understand how to break apart numbers to form number bonds.  Learn addition and subtraction facts to 10 etc.

This goals were easy to accomplish because I started thinking about them when he was three. We played around at three, and we did more formal lessons at four. By 5 1/2 when he entered kinder he had easily met these goals.

• 4 weeks later...

I started AAR's pre-reading program and HWT's PK materials when my twins were 3.5.  They were perfect for them.  They absolutely ate it up.  We finished AAR when they were 4years, 3mos or so (took ~9mos to go through it) and they were ready to start Phonics Pathways and learning to read at that point.  By their 5th birthday, they were reading fluently on about a 2nd grade level.  We kept working through HWT's K materials after their PK, and that has continued to work well for us.  We added Singapore Essential math K around 4.5 and are nearing the end of the KB book now.