Menu

Living/Whole Books K curriculum that meets state standards

Jenn in CA

You know what I want?

A list of living/whole/quality picture books that meets state standards [CA ideally but they all seem pretty similar] for Kindergarten.

I have seen lots of lists, such as Beautiful Feet, Memoria Press, Ambleside, etc. etc. And they're all wonderful.

I would like to see a list of picture books specifically for social studies. 

I found a set called "Me and My______" (Family Tree, Five Senses, Amazing Body) that looks great.

Any other ideas?

I would like a list of picture books that cover the usual "social studies" topics in state standards, such as holidays, national symbols, responsibility/citizenship, community jobs, the idea of the past vs. the present, and beginning maps.

I've got literature and history covered. It's these other areas that I'm not as familiar with in the world of picture books.

Some of them are slightly more advanced than a true Kindy level, but we love the books in a series called THE TRUE BOOKS.

They have community ones, government, landforms, basic maps, and anything you can imagine. They have a series for animals as well:

Here is the amazon link to sohttp://www.amazon.com/Declaration-Independence-True-Books/dp/0531147800/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376338043&sr=1-3&keywords=True+booksme of the government ones:

Here is another examples on maps and geography. It is irritatingly difficult to pull up longer lists of them, but I know they exist because our libraries carry SO many of them. There are individual ones on parts of the US, other countries, cultures, one for every holiday imagine able, landforms, you name it.

http://www.amazon.com/Types-Maps-True-Books-Information/dp/0531262383/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376338171&sr=1-7&keywords=True+books+on+maps

The other series we loved before we got to The True Books are the Rookie Readers...they have a science series, maps and geography series, holidays, cultures around the world, even biographies of famous scientists, presidents, people in history, and many more. They are much closer to a Kindy level, and come graded as levels. Here is a list of some of the geography books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=rookie+read+about+geography&sprefix=Rookie+re%2Cstripbooks%2C198&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Arookie+read+about+geography

We incorporate at least one culture, one science, and one more of her choice in our daily reading and both of these sets are pretty great:)

I know it isn't a complete list, but it really is a complete package to meet all requirements.

My suggestion is to get a few great reference books on read alouds.

More Books Kids Will Sit Still For is great because it lists books topically, so you would just have to look under the topics in social studies you are interested in and find books accordingly.

I find it's easier to recommend books about books than individual titles because there are just too many children's books to list. Books to Build On would be good since it's from the Core Knowledge people. 

• 000 – General works, Computer science and Information
  • 100 – Philosophy and psychology
  • 200 – Religion
  • 300 – Social sciences
  • 400– Language
  • 500 – Science
  • 600 – Technology
  • 700 – Arts & recreation
  • 800 – Literature
  • 900 – History & geography

This applies to the children's section of your local library as well. Just browse about and try a few titles. 

You state may have standards about what topics to cover in social studies, but whatever books you use are up to you. 

All of those booklists from Sonlight, Ambleside etc would do the job just as well as any other book. It's just personal preference as to what book holds your child's interest.

The content/topic is a state requirement....not the books you choose to read.

I don't have a list like that but How Children Lived by Chris and Melanie Rice and Turn of the Century by Ellen Jackson are great for showing then vs now. 

Growing Up in .... are great for kindergarten level cultures.

Come Look With Me would be good for art at that age.

I'm brand new to home schooling so I don't know if these books are any good but I think Usbourne books has Social Studies themes. I also just saw a book On Amazon called The Children's book Of America by William J. Bennett. It may have religious undertones though since he's the writer of The Children's book of virtues.