Menu

Speak slowly and tell me how to buy a new phone for my plan

ThisIsTheDay

My ds has a hand-me-down 3G phone that's at least four years old. We joke that it is a beta version of a smart phone. He's grandfathered into that wonderful T-Mobile $15/mo unlimited texting plan that is no longer offered.

He would like a new phone.  Support at T-Mobile has not been helpful, because of course they want me to buy a phone through their website. Other than going through the T-Mobile website, how can I get a replacement phone?  I have some vague idea that I need to pay attention to his SIM card and make sure the new phone is T-Mobile compatible, but I'm completely in the dark otherwise. 

After I find such a phone, is it just a matter of moving the SIM card into the new phone, or would I have to do more?

If you could give me direction and speak to me like I'm 10 years old, I would appreciate it.

Caveat:  I know nothing whatsoever about TMobile (whether they're CDMA or GSM, what cards they use, etc).

I just got a new iPhone 4S.  Woohoo!!   :D

I have patiently waited nearly 7 years to get an iPhone.

To put it on my existing Viaero (GSM) plan, I pulled the miniSIM card out of my Motorola, cut it down with a pair of scissors to the size of a microSIM, and put it in my iPhone.  

Seriously. 
That was it.

My ds has a hand-me-down 3G phone that's at least four years old. We joke that it is a beta version of a smart phone. He's grandfathered into that wonderful T-Mobile $15/mo unlimited texting plan that is no longer offered.

He would like a new phone.  Support at T-Mobile has not been helpful, because of course they want me to buy a phone through their website. Other than going through the T-Mobile website, how can I get a replacement phone?  I have some vague idea that I need to pay attention to his SIM card and make sure the new phone is T-Mobile compatible, but I'm completely in the dark otherwise. 

After I find such a phone, is it just a matter of moving the SIM card into the new phone, or would I have to do more?

If you could give me direction and speak to me like I'm 10 years old, I would appreciate it.

Any T Mobile Phone works for T Mobile, if you want to keep the 15/mo plan you need to make very sure they don't change your phone service plan. They will likely try to change it.  Once it's changed and you've signed off they will not fix it and give it back. 

I suggest you go to a T-Mobile store and browse the phones.  See what is there, and what you like. What features you want, etc.  If you plan to keep the phone for many years get a newer phone so it's not outdated as fast.

Thank you! I will be looking at the store.  And Erin, my, you were very brave, lol!

Not really.  ;)

I had already called my local store to make sure that if I botched the card I could just get a new one.  

The hardest part was getting all of my contacts out of my Google account and into my local address book on my MacBook.  And even that wasn't particularly difficult.