Menu

5th grade writing and grammar suggestions please

caitlinsmom

This hasn't been my year for planning.  We start school in just 3 weeks and I am still waffling on what to use for writing and grammar.

We have used WWE and FLL  up to grade 3.  Last year I bought Writing Essentials after hearing it combined both grammar and writing.  It worked fine but dd thought it was "meh".  She never really loved WWE or FLL but she didn't hate them either.  They were tedious at times (diagramming  really started to annoy her) but she could push through.

I'll admit I have never looked at a writing program outside of Peacehill press offerings (other than the Writing Essentials).  I don't even know what is out there. :o

So what would you recommend for a 5th grader, average skills and dislikes writing only because it means she has to sit?  I don't mind sticking with Peacehill Press stuff but I'd like to have a few other options.

Thanks!

I am using IEW for my 5th grader along with my 3rd grader. Writing isn't either of their strengths. I want them both to be good writers but they have hated any program we tried in the last 2 years. We are 3 weeks into our year and they are actually asking to do writing! I am not joking. The honeymoon phase might be short-lived, but I will rejoice anytime a child asks to do writing.

My 5th grader is using LLATL and I really like it.  We only add daily handwriting and free writing twice a week.  I like that it has some nice creative writing projects in it too. This week she has written some poetry, and earlier she had to write a tall tale which turned out to be a great chapter book :-) 

LLATL has a good blend of a lot of skills but is not so overwhelming that you can't add something extra if you see the need.

Writing Tales 2 would fit your dd, I think.  Also, you can do WWS1 (yes, it is PHP) over two years if you start in 5th grade, and I think they might be very doable for a kid who doesn't love writing.  I am actually doing WWS over two years for my reluctant/weak writing kid in 6th and 7th grade.  It eases the pressure while giving him a solid foundation. He will do WWS2 after that.  My 5th grader will do WWS1 this year, but I have given him the option of taking two years to do it.  He has done WT1 and 2 the past two years.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I will check out each of the sites mentioned.  I spent some time on IEW last night, watching videos and reading.  I like what I see but that usually means dd will hate it. :) 

At least now I know where to start and multiple options.

Thanks!