Menu

Is there some "controversy" over Teaching Textbooks?

on it's level of difficulty. Some believe it is not difficult enough to prepare for college level work.

From reviews I've read of others who have successfully placed into college level math, I think these concerns are unfounded.

From our experience, it's very user friendly. The math complaints stopped when we started with Teaching Textbooks.

HTH

Cindy

If you look through the archives and search this board for TT you'll find the "controversial" threads that K-8 references. I searched both forums pretty well before ordering the curriculum, and all I could find was that some people feel the curriculum is not difficult enough because in a couple instances kids did poorly in College and in the majority of instances, the mothers felt the kids were not challenged because they didn't complain about the math. Not that the kids said they weren't challenged, but that they didn't complain about having to do math. So go figure.

I found that my boys are really enjoying math with TT and that is good enough for me.

I honesly don't believe it doesn't provide a solid foundation for college and you will find MANY posts saying just that - that their kids had no problems with College math after TT.

It is too bad it has this reputation because I really don't think it is at all warranted.

The "controversy" I've heard is the fact that TT doesn't introduce some *things* till later. (Sorry, I'm still trying to wake up, so the specific *things* escape me at the moment.)

So, if your child is taking the SAT in 11th grade, say, they may not have yet been introduced to a concept that is tested, thus, causing a bad score.

However, I think, that should your child go through the program they will be introduced to that concept and be prepared for college just fine (especially if they aren't leaning toward a math / science related field).

I do know that I've used Saxon for my oldest and many concepts were introduced earlier there than in TT (that I'm using for my second). I'm not concerned.

I'll once again add in my thoughts--because if you do a 'search' you'll find that my name often comes up in this "controversy"! Here are a few morning rambles on my take....

To quote a recent poll " I don't hate TT but I feel there are better programs out there".

I actually RECOMMEND TT to people with YOUNG math students--especially those starting Algebra 1 in 7th grade or below. These students have time in high school to review and expand these concepts using other programs--and they should come out with a very solid foundation for further upper maths.

I do have a problem with TT's texts having (sort of) misleading labels. The content in their Algebra 1 course is NOT comparable to the content in any standard Algebra 1 course (it is much less). The content in their Algebra 2 course is also much less than a standard text. By standard I mean what you would find in a state adopted program--what colleges expect a student to have covered when they complete a course. By Algebra 2 they are about one-semester behind. For example if you complete Lial's Introductory Algebra, Forester's Algebra 1, or Larson's (Chalkdust) Algebra 1 you would be able to complete through TT's Algebra 2 lesson 100--this leaves only 30 lessons of actual Algebra 2 for TT... Last year I compared TT to my middle dd in PS's Algebra program. Again she would easily place in the last few lessons of TT's Algebra 2. This is NOT a problem if the parents are aware that TT's program is not on the same level. I'm all for a program that helps students UNDERSTAND the material--even if it takes longer to complete--just be aware.

TT is very open about the fact that they deferred material until their Pre-Calc text. Since the computer part of their Pre-Calc program has not been released (I'm not sure if it has now or not) not many students have used it. I'm still a little leery about it because if you add in the lessons for the 'deferred' material there are not many lessons left to thoroughly cover Pre-Calc (a pretty heavy 2-semester course). I can only judge it by the sample lessons--and the level of difficulty is not anywhere near what PS and community college students will face.

There are far 'worse' math programs out there--ABeka's high school math program really gets me on my soap box! But even there, I've had students go through ABeka and score very high on their SAT tests and go on to extreme engineering fields in college--BUT the MAJORITY of ABeka students I've worked with do not make high scores--and often have to take remedial maths in college...

TT is a NEW program. It will be several more years before it will be 'tried and true'. I really hope that it works out. I love seeing students enthusiastic about Math!!! Until then I'm just cautious.

I read brief mention of "some controversy" with TT on another board, but it didn't go into detail. Anybody fill me in?

Thanks.

From what I've read, some don't think it's rigorous enough and doesn't covered the required material. The authors of the curriculum have written a response to this that you can find on this board and others.

I think the proof is just starting to come in that TT **IS** a good curriculum. It's been so new on the market that there haven't been students who've gone through all the highschool levels and had test results from the ACT and SAT.

My son used TT for geometry, Algebra II and Pre-Calc. My son just took the ACT and got a 27 on the Math portion (and he ran out of time to do the last 3 problems)--which is something like the 95 percentile and 6?? something on the SAT portion. Both tests placed him into Pre-Calculus II at the University.

Since the ACT and SAT are suppose to test college preparedness for math, I would say that TT does prepare a student for college level math. Ask me in November and I'll be able to tell you how my son did at the college level.

Lisa

I'll once again add in my thoughts--because if you do a 'search' you'll find that my name often comes up in this "controversy"! Here are a few morning rambles on my take.....

Jann, I assume you are a math expert? I'm new-ish to the boards and don't know many people here, but I see people defer to you often on math questions.

Anyway, we switched to TT for geometry for my non-math daughter who struggled for years with upper level math. She is strong in language, writing, the arts, but not math, and everything we tried before TT was a dismal failure for her. We knew she would not continue in either math or the sciences in college, so we bought TT geometry and then Algebra II for her. She has done very well.

My only concern was that it would be enough for college, but I guess since she was accepted and received a decent academic scholarship, I shouldn't worry.

Next dd wants to continue in Saxon.

Thanks for your input!

My kids did some SOS math this year...they loved it. In fact Im keeping my youngest in it till he's old enough for tt which should b e next year... Honestly I think Math 5 looks like 4th grade math...but its all good...kids can work at their own pace.

Im glad the Pre alg is "easier" since my son is in fact behind in math...TT should be a great boost for his ego...which is more important right now than the actual math to me.

We will go through TT pre alg and on at his pace...for 4 years....after that whatever he places in at the college level is fine by me...Im not in a race for the brightest kids in class(in fact I think the boys are happy hiding out in the back of the room, so to speak)I just want them to learn something!

I feel my oldest is not college bound...but I want him prepared anyway. I didn't get through alg. in High school....was able to go to a 2 year "Art institute" and I feel this child will follow....into a trade school. He's thinking of Welding Arts. Hes creative .......not studious.

sometimes when the powers that be say something is too easy...not challenging...I often ask myself...by whose standards...and does that make it right for me?....I have friends that would say if they are not complaining about their math, they are not learning...but I dont see where school subjects need to be borring or stressfull in order to be a good program.

hope this made sense...basically, controversy attracts my sort. LOL!

:bigear: