Menu

Chapter books about farming

bullseye

My son loves all things farm related.  I'm trying to build his attention span by introducing read-aloud chapter books and would like to find some that focus on farming so it'll be easier to engage him.  We're reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy right now and he'll listen to a chapter and then incorporate details from the story into his play (he's "making a whip for his oxen" as I type).  What else would people recommend?  We live in the country, fortunately, so he isn't sensitive to things like butchering animals that I know would upset a lot of kids. 

Thanks!

Fantastic Mr. fox would be good, although my dd was totally traumatized as the fox attempts to steal food from wealthy and nasty farmers--who attempt to kill him:) granted, dd is 3.5, but just a warning!

Obvious, is Charlotte's Web...

We just read a book called Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright about a little girl called Garnet, age 10, on a farm, set in the 1930's.We actually had to read it twice because my dd loved it so much.

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings- this was one of my favorites as a child.

Gary Paulsen has a lesser-known book called Harris and Me that is very cute- a young city boy (I think he is about 10?) is sent to live on a farm for the summer, and spends time with his cousin Harris...warning, they get up to all sorts of trouble, and Harris is a serious daredevil.

If you like the Little House series, what about Sarah Plain and Tall, Caleb's Story, and others by Patricia MacLachlan. They are farm-oriented/western frontier.

Much more sensitive, but Where the Red Fern Grows, or Old Yeller are both in the same genre if your kiddo can handle that type of book.

What about the Kate Seredy classics like The Good Master? Older, and I think Hungarian farmers?

And slightly different, bit for a young boy that loves farming books, the Sugar Creek Gang series are not to be missed! Same time of wholesome adventure, and are so much fun!

I can't think of any right now but just wanted to say that Farmer Boy is one of our all time favorites here. The descriptions of farming are great but the descriptions of all that food, oh my, makes me hungry every time!