Menu

Please list your favorite high-interest narrative type science books for middle school

Greta

My dd is going to be doing a distance-learning program for high school, and for this year (8th grade), we're doing some subjects from that school, and some subjects still homeschooling, to transition her into it.  I bought a general science text to use this year to get her ready for textbook-based science for high school.  But after looking through it, I'm now thinking about doing the exact opposite.  To fully enjoy the "freedom" of her last year of homeschool science, I'm thinking we should just read science books that are truly fascinating, and not worry about the textbook approach.

So I am all ears for any and all recommendations of engaging and interesting science books appropriate to a typical 8th grader's reading level.

Thanks in advance!

If there have been other threads discussing this (and I would certainly imagine that there have been!), please point me to them.  I am already following the thread on vintage science books.  I'm interested in more recently written books, too, though.

Also, any favorite documentaries or Great Courses?

It's more history/geography than science, and it's not a book, but my son really liked watching a DVD version of Kon-Tiki. Hmm it looks like there is a new version?

And yes, there is a book, but...it sounds like time will be tight, with so many things you want to do, so I recommend the DVD.

Carson was originally published as a series of newspaper articles. It is not a difficult read. Darwin is easier to follow imo than a lot of fiction that is contemporary with it. Another fun one if she's interested in genetics is Cats Are Not Peas.