Menu

Singapore math - can I go back and forth?

SereneHome

I think between years you can, but realize that US is missing some topics that Standards has (like negative numbers and something else I can't remember now). That won't affect you until about grade 4, I think.

There is a FAQ about this on the Singapore Math website.

And for what it's worth, we went straight through 5B with the US edition and DS's mathematical grounding is so solid from the program that we simply skipped level six entirely and went straight to DM7. He picked up negative numbers on his own and didn't need a book to teach him.

We go back and forth and even use them simultaneously (with twins). It works for us.

I know I'm strange, but I want to use them together.  I want the better HIG that comes with the standards ed. but I prefer the US.  We used US for 1a and b.  I have standard for 2a, but I also have the 2a US text book because I got such an awesome deal on all the US text books.  I have 2b workbook and IP and text.  So, I'm thinking of going back to US for 2b.  Really, I'm just really not settled on what I want yet.  I feel like I need to use both (with both types of HIG's before I can decided...1a and 1b are made by Singapore and much more like the standards guides than the US. 

What can I say...I'm indecisive when it comes to math, but I'm trying hard to decide and stick with it.  LOL!