Menu

X posted - Need recs for World War 2 history books for a 10 year old

We are studying Modern history this year, including the World Wars.  My 10 year old has taken up an interest in WW2, particularly Nazi history.  I am walking a fine line between giving him the information and not showing him "Saving Private Ryan", as he is still emotionally a ten year old boy.  His reading level is late high school.  We are using SL's Core 7/H for history and literature next year, but my guy wants more WW2 specific materials to read on his own time.  We have several DVD series on wars and WW2, which he also enjoys.  We also plan to visit a very small Holocaust Museum in Dallas next year.  Ideas?  Recommendations?  Books, materials or DVD's are all welcome.

Crossposted on K-8th board.

If you can find them(they are out of print, but normally not that hard to locate), The Military History of WWII by Trevor DuPuy would probably be perfect. They are thin books, 18 in the series,written by a military historian. I don't remember anything objectionable in them, but my ds was around 13 when he read them. Another source, again OOP, would be American Heritage Jr Library books. The book on the Battle of the Bulge was one my ds favorites when he was around 9. (He loved history.). There is also one on D Day and I think 1 or 2 others on WW2.