Menu

Learning Rx?

Has anyone here used their services? Did you see results?

I had my son evaluated at Learning Rx recently. His scores are all over the place... two grade levels ahead in reading level but his processing speed is in the 3rd percentile. :( His long and short term memory scores were low, too. 

The program is really expensive... but (it seems) they are definitely getting results. I'm concerned for my ds; he has always struggled but the academic gap with his peers is widening. Is Learning Rx worth the money?

Janie, I've seen your posts on the boards and don't remember your whole story.  My dd did VT (vision therapy) at a place that also does PACE, which is the other name for Learning RX.  The practice was one of the first to use PACE, and yes they can get good results.  However there are a few catches.  One, they like to check vision first and fix anything going on there before doing PACE.  Two, they sometimes need to refer you off for OT.  Three, it doesn't replace the need for a psych/neuropsych eval and the benefits of a full eval.

During our VT the therapist started bringing in some PACE activities.  They were really sophisticated and good at targeting working memory and processing issues.  So for instance she might say a string of numbers and you'd have to remember the LAST number from the prior string and say it.  Then you'd have to hold that last one you just heard and say it at the end of the next string.  Crazy, and OBVIOUSLY anyone working on that is going to get some improvement.  And the therapist talked about how they work on improving the processing that is weak (whichever one the dc tends not to use), etc.  So I do think it's good.  However now that we've done VT and OT and our hack version of IM at home using a metronome app and...  well one the budget is gone and two it seems a little less pressing, kwim?  

So I would suggest getting his eyes checked by a COVD doc first, just to make sure that isn't part of the problem.  You could consider IM (interactive metronome) which can improve processing speed in some kids (we've had a post to that effect here on the boards, with scores that started out as low as yours and went up to 30%).  Dd couldn't handle the PACE activities they were trying to do as part of the visual processing portion of her VT, and they wanted us to do more OT.  I'm saying there's more to it.  It's nice to think walk in, do it, get the results.  Might work for some kids, and some kids you're going to find things are more involved.  I thought what we did of it was very powerful.  In our area they'll do it in sort of a boot camp of intensive work and it's around $3500.  I forget how many hours that was.  I'm sure it's good, but I'd do the preparatory stuff first.  

Btw, they're getting a % of improvement, so when I did the math, starting at say 3 or 4 digits on a digit span, a 10% increase in function was just not worth $3500 to me, kwim?  Not when I need 200%. 

You mentioned an academic gap.  This is where you consider evals and get really honest.  The high school board is kind of a hard place to talk, because everyone wants to look good for admissions, blah blah.  Here though you can talk.  Kids can be really quirky.  They can be really good at some things and not so good at others.  Sometimes that academic gap is reflecting EF (executive function) issues.  Sometimes it IS going to continue to widen, no matter what you do, and you have to sort of embrace them as a different type of student.  Often they have entirely DIFFERENT strengths that aren't valued when you get into an AP rat race over on the high school boards.  I don't know his age, but at some point you sort of get this reality check about what you're teaching and change from you're defective, I need to fix you, to you're DIFFERENT, I need to work with you.

Like I said, I don't remember your whole story.  I know I've seen your threads that hinted at SN and I just didn't reply.  Someone else here on the boards went from single digits processing speed to 30th%ile with IM, so something in that vein is DEFINITELY worth pursuing.  It's a fraction of the price, or you can even try to implement it for free at home with apps.  You may have more going on that would benefit from someone helping you sort it out.  When I started pursuing PACE and VT 4 years ago, it was because I thought my dd was broken and I needed to FIX her so I could enable her to do the things everyone else was doing. (Read textbooks, do a typical science sequence, blah blah.) Now I know that it's not that she can't, but that the cost is too high.  We do different things, and we do them in ways that hopefully will develop her as a lifelong learner, someone who finds her non-strength areas interesting and who continues to learn about them and read them.  I am concerned about traditional skills, but as we hit them in the areas she's stronger in (along with her increasing maturity, along with the progress we've made doing things like VT, metronome work, etc.), it seems to be coming together.  

Have you had other evals?  Had his eyes checked?  Regular doc or developmental optometrist?

I have a friend (who's on this forum sometimes) whose dd had great results with LRx and they were very happy. I don't know anyone else who's done it. It is quite expensive, I agree. I second what OhElizabeth said about other evals and different kinds of drs. Your money may be better spent doing VT, OT,etc. We've been very pleased working with an Educational Therapist. I've probably spent about the same amount of $ over the course of 2.5 years, but it's all one-on-one work totally customized to my dd's specific needs and as her needs change her therapy changes - sometimes within a session. 

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

It's tricky, because some places are only doing tutoring.  Because our place was also doing VT, they could tell you upfront if something else was more important to do first.  That's the kind of perspective you want.  It IS good.  Just want to go at things in a good order for your kid.

I don't have personal experience with Learning RX, though I have looked into it.  I do have a friend who recently did it for her 3rd grade son, with their primary goal to improve processing speed.  I can't recall all of the details, but I believe he worked for around 20 weeks, and his processing speed score (on their tests) went up about 30 percentile points.  It's been several months and she's not really sure she can tell a difference in his daily work.  Like vision therapy it was tough for them to get a lot of academics done while they were doing it.  I think you have to be very clear in your mind about what you want to get out of it.  And you have to keep in mind that it is a cognitive skill program. How much improvement you see in other areas depends on how much of those problems are due to cognitive skill deficits.  Personally I think processing speed is just a hard thing to improve.  I think my friend found it helpful, but for the money it wasn't this huge amazing thing either.

Thanks, you guys. My reservations are growing as I consider this more...

1. The testing took 1.25 hr. That doesn't seem like thorough testing to me. I know that neuropsych evals take a LONG time. 

2. I feel like he might get better at the kind of tests that they give him (their stats prove this to be true) but I'm skeptical about how this would translate to processing speed for normal life. If I practiced doing Sudoku every day, I'd get faster. It doesn't mean my brain has become better; I'm just better at Sudoku. That's kind of my hunch about this.

3. The guy who runs it is has a masters in business. He's not a doctor or a teacher. I felt like he was closing a sale and I wasn't convinced that he was an expert in the field of kids' brain development the way an actual doctor or therapist would be. 

4. The cost is $10,000 for 120 hours of coaching. The sheer price of it makes me wary. 

It seems like the main things Learning Rx helps with are reading & math struggles, attention issues, etc. Those are not his issues. His issues are:

~ dysgraphia (I learned this from an eval by an OT a year ago)

~ slow processing speed

~ poor working memory

So, I'm looking into other options. Advice very much appreciated. 

Oh, and I did have him evaluated by an OT a year ago but the therapy was not going to be covered by our insurance and it was astronomical without insurance. However, we have a new policy (as of a couple days ago) and I now need to figure out what *it* covers, and/or how we can get stuff coded differently... IDK, all this is so new to me. I have a million questions (for anyone, but esp. OhElizabeth)...

Can you tell I like lists? They make me feel secure when life feels wobbly, which is does right now. 

1. What is VT for? Is it only if he's a poor reader? (Learning Rx didn't mention this so I am assuming they do not test vision at this location.)

2. What is an ET? How are they different from OTs?

3. Where do I get PACE materials? That search led me to Brainskills which can only be obtained if you are also doing Learning Rx.

4. Tell me about this metronome thing. Link??? They used a metronome for some of the testing (repeating things back on beat, reading on beat, etc)

5. Also, what materials do you use for digit span stuff?

My son is 10. I think for the first time, OhElizabeth, I'm moving from seeing him as defective/needing to be fixed to realizing he's different. I'm making peace with it. I'm fighting all kinds of fears about what he'll do one day (ie, will he be able to keep up in a traditional high school and college, what will he do for a living, etc). But peace comes when I just embrace today, and breathe, and realize that I can only do my best by him. I can't "fix" him. And honestly, he's wonderful. It hurts my heart that I would think of my green-eyed, compassionate, tender-hearted boy as "defective." 

I think it has taken me so long because his two older sibs were a breeze to teach. It would take one explanation for them to "get" things. (Maybe a couple for long division!) I wasn't clued in to what "different" meant. I guess I figured his struggles were because I hadn't found the right curricula, I wasn't spending enough time with him, life was crazy (new baby or move or whatever)... there was always a "reason" and I didn't want to face the concept that maybe he's just irreversibly different. Genetically. For some reason. It's hard. I'm tearful as I write this.

Another thing that's hard is the the kid coming up behind him is probably extremely "gifted." But I feel like ds10 takes ALL my energy. I have nothing left for this crazy smart 6yo who is so eager to learn. I'm fearful about what giving him my dregs will do. But maybe it won't be so draining once I figure out what works for this ds10 and stop banging my head against the wall with stuff that doesn't fit him.

Also, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for this board. As I think about this coming school year, I feel like I am standing on a high dive, which all along I thought was maybe a regular diving board, and I'm a bit shocked and a bit terrified... but this forum makes me feel like there are friends in the pool who have already jumped and they are cheering me on.

I'm so so glad not to be alone. 

At that price, I would say no, just no.  You can put that money to better uses for example- OT, Neuro eval, etc.  

I don't know how Learning RX works everywhere else but they seem to be here nothing but praying on parents who want help but don't know where to turn.  I was not impressed with how they worked with a friend's son.  His mom looks back at what a waste of money as they did not help her child.  

At that price, I would say no, just no.  You can put that money to better uses for example- OT, Neuro eval, etc.  

I don't know how Learning RX works everywhere else but they seem to be here nothing but praying on parents who want help but don't know where to turn.  I was not impressed with how they worked with a friend's son.  His mom looks back at what a waste of money as they did not help her child.  

You know, I have to say I did feel somewhat emotionally manipulated. He asked questions like "what is your big-picture goal for your son, in his future? What will be your biggest disappointment, what is your biggest fear, if he doesn't improve?" I actually cried, thinking about just wanting him to be happy and not wanting him to feel stupid, etc. The guy was not compassionate, just asking these leading questions and urging me to sign up so that ds doesn't fall farther behind. At the time I left thinking "we need to do whatever we can to make this happen"... but now I'm just put off. 

That's a lot of money!  My son also has low processing speed and dysgraphia, but good working memory.  I belong to a dyslexia group and a model that has been discussed there extensively is a pyramid model of therapies.  They idea is to start with the most fundamental therapies first (the base of the pyramid), then move on up.  Occupational therapy (OT) and vision therapy (VT) are considered more fundamental than cognitive skills like attention, processing speed and working memory (the middle of the pyramid) - basically meaning that you'll see more gains in cognitive skills if you work on them AFTER doing those other things first.  (The top of the pyramid is academics, in case you were wondering.)

So if you haven't already, I would get a vision therapy evaluation and see where that leaves you. I would also revisit the idea of doing something with OT.  I would only consider cognitive skill training after you've worked on those other things.  Not trying to add another thing for you to look into - but have you ever looked into Neuronet?  If there's no insurance coverage for office based OT, it is kind of like a combo of OT and cognitive skills, and you can do it at home.  I'm doing it now with my 8 year old son.  It's going well for us so far.  I chose it over office based OT because he had already had a lot of school based OT for handwriting and it didn't help much.  I was looking for something different.  Neuronet works on automaticity of handwriting and other skills.  A lot of OTs are becoming Neuronet providers because they are seeing a lot of gains from it.

I have found it challenging at times to decide what service to do next.  I have found the pyramid model helpful and have usually combined it with working on what seems to be holding my son back the most.

My understanding of PACE is that it is/was the precursor to Learning RX.  Pace trainers aren't in business in places that have a Learning RX franchise.  I wish they were because the people who have mentioned PACE to me seem sa  tisified with it and I think it was less expensive.

Quick question: Does getting his eyes checked, vision therapy evaluation, etc. mean the same thing as "visual processing"? If so, that was recommended to me a year ago but I stalled out due to insurance issues. I decided to use Dianne Craft stuff and see how it went. Time to follow up on the visual processing eval, if that's what you're talking about.

I'm short on time and will try to come back later, but I'll quickly answer one of your questions now. ET stands for Educational Therapist. The best way I can describe it is a special ed teacher doing private practice. Most pull from multiple sources such as Barton, Wilson, Lindamood-Bell, etc, etc, a do prescriptive exercises to aid in the development of your child. Around my area there are certified ET's and there are former teachers in private practice (they usually don't call themselves Educational Therapists). Here's a good website: http://www.aetonline.org

Don't know if you meant ET or EF.  EF=Executive Function.

No, I agree with you, I would NOT consider paying $10K for the Learning RX stuff.  That's insane.  Last I heard, the same therapy was $3500 with the awesome, awesome practice near us.  If you want it so much, come visit me, stay with me for free, and save $6K.  :D

Kitty's explanation is very good, that there are things that are foundational and there are things that sort of build on them but are more crap shoots.  For instance IM is great, but OT is foundational.  You can find an OT who does IM.  

I'll also say the thing that has probably already occurred to you, that you could get a full psych eval AND get his vision checked (and treated if necessary) AND get some monthly OT AND do IM, all for less than that $10K that guy wants.  And no, no way in flying fig I'd hand that kind of cash to a businessman.  You're TOTALLY right to be skeptical.  If I do PACE at our local place, I'm using a therapist who is COVD certified, who works with SN kids all the times, who stays up on lots of techniques and blends things and brings all kinds of knowledge to the table about how kids process and work.  She's not some guy who decided to get in business with a kit and some sales tactics, kwim?  There's a HUGE difference there.  

That must have been really hard to sit through.  We were where you are 4 years ago, and we're happy now.  You'll get to a place of peace too.  Take your time and read about the options.

Yes, as far as eyes, it's time to have them checked.  Somebody must have had a reason for suggesting it.  It's an easy thing to eliminate.  Find the most reputable COVD doc you can.  Start with the regular eval if you want but have them *screen* for the developmental vision stuff.  Discuss whether he needs the full developmental vision eval or if there's no indication of an issue there.  

As far as the OT, if you had the eval and know you need some, that would be nice to do.  Option one, go to a different OT who also does IM.  Option two, use that OT you already used.  One thing I wish we had done was to do monthly appointments with more homework.  Some OTs have a rather self-serving, godlike view of themselves.  (If you do it at home, you'll screw the kid up and induce seizures, blah blah, yes they actually said this!)  They're getting 4 times (or more) your dh's income, so it's in their interest to say it can't be done at home.  OF COURSE it can.  Compliance is an issue, equipment is an issue.  Find someone who's willing to work with you though.  We hung a single line swing in our basement, I made a weighted collar with beans, and we stopped paying $100 an hour to have someone put her on a swing with a weighted collar.  What kids needs varies, but it's a way to approach it, with the spaced appointments and more homework.  For us it would have been fine.  Less compliance, different situation, maybe not.  Something to look into.

You're using a lot of words that usually connect to a more global label.  If you haven't had a psych eval yet, it would help you.  If free is your pricepoint, try the ps.  Might give you some extra information to target your efforts.

You're going to sort through this.  Just take your time, and definitely don't give that guy $10K or think your kid will be ruined if you don't.  It's going to take you a while to work through things, but you have some good options and things that will cummulatively help. Sometimes what you're doing is eliminating one problem so the next thing CAN work.  So you might need to do some basic OT and VT before he's ready to get the benefit of the IM.  Even in VT they work on basic developmental vision problems before they start visual processing.  So just work through the process.  Find some reputable practitioners and get some evals.  Keep talking here on the board and asking questions.  You'll make it.  :)

On one of the dyslexia lists I'm on, I have often seen Dr. Doug Stephey's Cognitive Calisthenics program suggested as an alternative to LearningRx.   I emailed him about it the end of last year and he told me it was called Brain Spark now and was $350.   He also offered to talk to me personally about why I wanted to use it and if it was appropriate for my child.    I did not take him up on that offer or buy the kit at that time so I don't know any more about it  - but only because I was waffling around on what to do (I seem to do that a lot the last few years :sigh:)  I am still thinking about getting it after we finish our second round of VT.  

I found this cheaper but similar version of IM for iPhones and iPads:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/measuring-metronome/id676748179?mt=8

It is not as fancy but does the same thing

Interesting!  Did you try it yet?  Is that a type on the screen shots?  It says x says of beat, but maybe that should be OFF beat?  And if you tried it, does it give auditory feedback?  Clapbox gives an echo.  It's a little crunchy, but it works.  On the measuring metronome app can you set the bpm?  We like pro metronome.  Doesn't give you the feedback, but it's easy to work with.

PS. Are you the app developer?  There are no reviews for the product.  You should put it out for free for a day so people can try it.  :)

So if you haven't already, I would get a vision therapy evaluation and see where that leaves you. I would also revisit the idea of doing something with OT.  I would only consider cognitive skill training after you've worked on those other things.  Not trying to add another thing for you to look into - but have you ever looked into Neuronet?  If there's no insurance coverage for office based OT, it is kind of like a combo of OT and cognitive skills, and you can do it at home.  I'm doing it now with my 8 year old son.  It's going well for us so far.  I chose it over office based OT because he had already had a lot of school based OT for handwriting and it didn't help much.  I was looking for something different.  Neuronet works on automaticity of handwriting and other skills.  A lot of OTs are becoming Neuronet providers because they are seeing a lot of gains from it.

I have found it challenging at times to decide what service to do next.  I have found the pyramid model helpful and have usually combined it with working on what seems to be holding my son back the most.

Thanks for explaining the pyramid thing; that IS really helpful, as I'm this somewhat frantic place of wanting to do something (anything, everything) and not knowing where to start. So that's really practical and clarifying.

Neuronet looks really great. I think I need to talk to someone about which program I'd get (Tools for Learning vs Integrated Rhythms)... it's not totally clear which is the best fit from the descriptions. Do you have a recommendation, if the primary issues are processing speed, working memory and developmental coordination disorder?

There used to be threads on this subject that were not positive at all. I asked about it around October 2011. I don't know if a board search will bring it up or not.

No, I couldn't find any threads on it. I'll try searching with your name, too. Thanks. I'm assuming you didn't end up doing it?

I'm short on time and will try to come back later, but I'll quickly answer one of your questions now. ET stands for Educational Therapist. The best way I can describe it is a special ed teacher doing private practice. Most pull from multiple sources such as Barton, Wilson, Lindamood-Bell, etc, etc, a do prescriptive exercises to aid in the development of your child. Around my area there are certified ET's and there are former teachers in private practice (they usually don't call themselves Educational Therapists). Here's a good website: http://www.aetonline.org

Thanks. None in my area, unfortunately.

Interesting!  Did you try it yet?  Is that a type on the screen shots?  It says x says of beat, but maybe that should be OFF beat?  And if you tried it, does it give auditory feedback?  Clapbox gives an echo.  It's a little crunchy, but it works.  On the measuring metronome app can you set the bpm?  We like pro metronome.  Doesn't give you the feedback, but it's easy to work with.

PS. Are you the app developer?  There are no reviews for the product.  You should put it out for free for a day so people can try it.   :)

Are you responding to a deleted post? I feel like I lost part of this conversation. Confused.  :confused1:

Thanks for explaining the pyramid thing; that IS really helpful, as I'm this somewhat frantic place of wanting to do something (anything, everything) and not knowing where to start. So that's really practical and clarifying.

Neuronet looks really great. I think I need to talk to someone about which program I'd get (Tools for Learning vs Integrated Rhythms)... it's not totally clear which is the best fit from the descriptions. Do you have a recommendation, if the primary issues are processing speed, working memory and developmental coordination disorder?

I would contact them and ask for a phone consultation with Nancy Rowe, the creator.  I had one and found it pretty helpful.  She has a basic intake that she likes to do, but I would also write down your questions.  She seems to care a great deal about who is using her program and wants to make sure it is appropriate, so I think you would get some good answers.

Are you responding to a deleted post? I feel like I lost part of this conversation. Confused.  :confused1:

Sorry, must have been a spammer.  Someone came on late, registered, and made 5 posts, all the same, promoting an app in various threads here.  It actually sorta made sense, then I realized I had no clue who the poster was and found all his posts were the same.  If he had had any brains, he would have just offered it to us for free.  Then he wouldn't have gotten kicked off, lol.  Had a typo on the screen shots anyway.  I thought the app was a good idea.  

So anyways, that's what happened.  They deleted the spammer.

I would contact them and ask for a phone consultation with Nancy Rowe, the creator.  I had one and found it pretty helpful.  She has a basic intake that she likes to do, but I would also write down your questions.  She seems to care a great deal about who is using her program and wants to make sure it is appropriate, so I think you would get some good answers.

Will do, thank you! It's on my list for Monday. I have also emailed the OT who did our eval a year ago to find out how much $ it will be to do sessions (without insurance), where to get visual processing eval and whether he recommends a neuropsych eval. It feels so good to be moving forward. Baby steps. Thanks for sharing your roadmaps, y'all. :)

My son tested in the 2nd percentile for processing speed there, so I know how frightening that is.  They were honest and told me that processing speed is the hardest to move up, but it would come up some.  I think it's an excellent program, and we would have done it if I could afford it.

My nephew went through the program when he was about 8 and his parents and teachers saw huge improvement.  A good friend of mine just put her 13 year old special needs child through the program and also saw huge jumps in her scores.  My friend says that she cannot get over the jump in daughter's self-esteem.  Her daughter thinks she can do anything now.

My son tested in the 2nd percentile for processing speed there, so I know how frightening that is.  They were honest and told me that processing speed is the hardest to move up, but it would come up some.  I think it's an excellent program, and we would have done it if I could afford it.

So what have you done to help him? I'd love to hear anything that you feel has improved his processing speed or just programs that were a "fit" for him in spite of his struggles.

So what have you done to help him? I'd love to hear anything that you feel has improved his processing speed or just programs that were a "fit" for him in spite of his struggles.

Hmm.  Well, he has dysgraphia and some visual processing issues.  We did a year of Vision Therapy.  It helped with convergence issues but there are still some visual weaknesses.  He still hates to read, says his eyes get weak, black out etc.  

I can't say that we've done anything specifically for processing speed.  My goal has been to help make as many things as possible automatic for him and lessen the load he has to process. Here are some things we have tried:

• We did Diane Craft's "Smart Kids Who Hate to Write" and it helped him to automatize writing letters which ultimately helped him write a little faster.  
  • We are currently doing OT and it is not helping.  
  • Classical Conversations Foundations - I feel confident that if he ever masters the memory work, it will help him tremendously.  The review games motivate him to study even though it is hard for him.  I have a friend who has a child with some pretty severe special needs.  She has spent thousands on every therapy she could get her hands on.  She says the repetition of CC has been the best therapy they have done. 
  • Classical Conversations Essentials - He cannot take notes in class.  It is much better if he just listens or he misses everything.  When he has to write a paper, I help him write an outline and then he dictates to me while I type.  He LOVES the math games.  
  • I have turned him onto some classic literature by downloading audio-books for him.  He has an incredible auditory memory.  He told me it is because he visualizes in his head.  So...
  • I am trying to help him master his multiplication facts with this.  He is still really slow with the facts, but I have slacked off on working with him this summer.
  • I also ordered a used copy of the book from Visualize World Geography.  I *really* wish I could afford the dvds, because I think they would be very helpful for him.  
  • He takes Tae Kwon Do with some buddies.  He thinks it's tons of fun.  I think of it as therapy.  It is very classical in that he has to memorize little routines until they are automatic and then learn how to use them in a fight.  All the while he is working on gross motor skills, crossing the mid-line, etc.
  • Exercise - for a few months last year I was faithful in making the kids run/walk 1 mile a few times per week.  After a couple of weeks, his tutors and other parents from CC asked me what I was doing differently because he was kicking booty in the review and math games.  He was actually being quick with his responses.  I have since read some research connecting exercise and brain growth.
  • Rightstart Math - a total lifesaver for us.  He loves this program.
  • Spell to Write and Read - I wish I started this or some other Spalding program years ago. 
  • Speed Games - I stumbled a list of games that require quick responses like BLINK.  I'm sorry I can't find the link.

Hopefully something in this list will jump out and be helpful for you.  I think Interactive Metronome therapy could be helpful.  It is next on my list to try when I can.  

Someone on this board said her dd described living with slow processing speed like having all kinds of things coming at her at once but her brain has a funnel.  Only one thing can come in at a time and it gets clogged up.  That was helpful to me.  I try not to through too much at him at once.  I try to help him break things down into manageable chunks.  Everything takes him 2-3x longer than my other kids, even loading the dishwasher.  I try to be patient and find areas in which he feels like he succeeds.  

How about you?  Have you found anything helpful?

Hmm.  Well, he has dysgraphia and some visual processing issues.  We did a year of Vision Therapy.  It helped with convergence issues but there are still some visual weaknesses.  He still hates to read, says his eyes get weak, black out etc.  

I can't say that we've done anything specifically for processing speed.  My goal has been to help make as many things as possible automatic for him and lessen the load he has to process. Here are some things we have tried:

• We did Diane Craft's "Smart Kids Who Hate to Write" and it helped him to automatize writing letters which ultimately helped him write a little faster.  
  • We are currently doing OT and it is not helping.  
  • Classical Conversations Foundations - I feel confident that if he ever masters the memory work, it will help him tremendously.  The review games motivate him to study even though it is hard for him.  I have a friend who has a child with some pretty severe special needs.  She has spent thousands on every therapy she could get her hands on.  She says the repetition of CC has been the best therapy they have done. 
  • Classical Conversations Essentials - He cannot take notes in class.  It is much better if he just listens or he misses everything.  When he has to write a paper, I help him write an outline and then he dictates to me while I type.  He LOVES the math games.  
  • I have turned him onto some classic literature by downloading audio-books for him.  He has an incredible auditory memory.  He told me it is because he visualizes in his head.  So...
  • I am trying to help him master his multiplication facts with this.  He is still really slow with the facts, but I have slacked off on working with him this summer.
  • I also ordered a used copy of the book from Visualize World Geography.  I *really* wish I could afford the dvds, because I think they would be very helpful for him.  
  • He takes Tae Kwon Do with some buddies.  He thinks it's tons of fun.  I think of it as therapy.  It is very classical in that he has to memorize little routines until they are automatic and then learn how to use them in a fight.  All the while he is working on gross motor skills, crossing the mid-line, etc.
  • Exercise - for a few months last year I was faithful in making the kids run/walk 1 mile a few times per week.  After a couple of weeks, his tutors and other parents from CC asked me what I was doing differently because he was kicking booty in the review and math games.  He was actually being quick with his responses.  I have since read some research connecting exercise and brain growth.
  • Rightstart Math - a total lifesaver for us.  He loves this program.
  • Spell to Write and Read - I wish I started this or some other Spalding program years ago. 
  • Speed Games - I stumbled a list of games that require quick responses like BLINK.  I'm sorry I can't find the link.

Hopefully something in this list will jump out and be helpful for you.  I think Interactive Metronome therapy could be helpful.  It is next on my list to try when I can.  

Someone on this board said her dd described living with slow processing speed like having all kinds of things coming at her at once but her brain has a funnel.  Only one thing can come in at a time and it gets clogged up.  That was helpful to me.  I try not to through too much at him at once.  I try to help him break things down into manageable chunks.  Everything takes him 2-3x longer than my other kids, even loading the dishwasher.  I try to be patient and find areas in which he feels like he succeeds.  

How about you?  Have you found anything helpful?

This is such an awesome list! Thanks for writing that out ~ really helpful and practical. Can't wait to check out some of those resources.

We are just at the beginning of really understanding ds's issues so I don't feel like I have a ton to offer but ds has been helped by...

1. Dianne Craft stuff (figure 8s alphabet especially)

2. Dictating his creative writing to me. It builds his confidence incredibly to see that he has a lot of good ideas inside of him and he doesn't need to be limited by his penmanship struggles. 

3. Teaching Textbooks math. For some reason, it really connects with him. I think the fact that he can listen to explanations of problems again and again helps; no pressure to get it the first time. The program is engaging and he connects with the voice of the teacher and the characters. It's also a relief from the constant me-and-him face time. 

4. Memorizing (now that you mention it) poetry with IEW stuff was good. I need to pick that back up again. It's not easy for him, but I bet the process helps him.

5. Reading, esp. Childhood of Famous Americans books and other historical fiction. This is basically playing to his strength. Unlike your son, he does not do well with auditory learning, but he is great with absorbing what he reads. So I try to feed him a ton of great books. 

6. For writing, the three-sided pencils with bumps on the edges. Better than any grip we've tried. 

• 2 months later...
Guest crackingtheducationcode

HI, 

I am currently a PACE provider, which is similar (not exact activities, but can get the same results) to LearningRx's ThinkRx.  PACE is a brain training program designed to improve the core cognitive processes (attention, memory, visualization, auditory processing, etc.) that we need to function in any area of learning, including sports, music, and academics.    

As an educator of over 12 years, I have seen and used many learning programs.  Nothing comes close to the improvements I've seen from PACE.  For the time and money spent, PACE is the most efficient and effective program to help learning.  If it wasn't, I would stop using it and find a better program.  I refuse as a teacher to use mediocre programs and half-a**ed techniques.  I do lots of research on curriculums and so far nothing has exceeded PACE.  

However, if you are a potential PACE student, or a parent interested in enrolling your child, keep in mind the following key points:

1.  PACE is not a math, science, or specific reading program.  It is a cognitive training program designed to make all of those subjects easier, and it will.  

2.  An effective training program needs a good trainer.  Mediocre PACE trainers will get 6 months-2 years improvement on average, and good trainers will get 3-5 years on average (sometimes 7 or more years in specific areas).  Make sure your trainer is high energy, can instill the appropriate "mental activities" and "distractions" they were trained to do, and understands how to implement intensity with the metronome, while not coddling or conversing with the student too much during sessions.  Side-conversations and lackluster intensity are the death-knell of PACE.  These elements are key in taking the program to superior results.  

3.  You must build momentum through several hours a week of training.  (3-5 hours a week).  Anything less than 3 hours a week significantly waters down the overall results.  So make sure your schedule can accommodate 3-5 months of steady training.  It's well worth it.  Do not plan big vacations!!!

4.  Improvements can be verified using any cognitive test, including the Woodcock-Johnson, which is the leading standard.  Some parents worry that scores are tied into the company's own testing, but this isn't true.  Feel free to get a 2nd opinion outside of PACE, through an independent certified cognitive evaluator.  The extra money for test validity will be well worth the ease of mind.  Objectivity is very important. 

5.  IQ scores generally increase by 15 points for a program.  Just like IQ is a broad measurement, the improvements from PACE are broad and varied.  Some students improve more academically, while some improve more socially, emotionally, etc.  There is no telling exactly how the brain will react after PACE.  

6.  Sometimes academic grades jump up later, and not during PACE.  I've seen students keep the same grades initially, and then suddenly improve 3 months to 1 year after PACE training.  It seems that for some students, the brain develops momentum with new cognitive skills, and then needs adaptation time to learn how to use the new skills in the school or workplace.  (Personally, I am very reactive to training.  My own skills improve almost immediately when I train.  As long as I'm training new levels or challenges, my skills jump almost weekly.  My life is so much better for it.)

7.  PACE is meant to jump start cognitive deficits, but LearningRx also has a reading program (Master the Code / ReadRx), and a math program (MathRx) to improve students' specific academics and grades.  These programs are also the best I've ever seen for reading and math (especially the reading).  Lindamood-Bell's Seeing Stars works well, but only about 1/5 the results of Master the Code.  Lindamood-Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing is still the best reading comprehension program I've found, but should only be used after completing ReadRx or Master the Code.  Also, LearningRx is currently developing a reading comprehension program, which should be out soon.   

8.  Some PACE trainers only provide 36 hours of training.  In my opinion, this is too little (unless you're completing 5-6 hours a week).  LearningRx provides 60 hours for a program, and I'd recommend at least 45 or more if doing PACE.  

9.  The video game studies on brain training are nothing like 1-on-1 PACE training with a real live person, and usually only involve 10-20 hours of training for their results.  Human interaction is essential in the learning process. 

Parents shouldn't try to home train without a good amount of practice in commanding a session successfully.  Again, a good trainer is essential in maximzing results.  In Colorado, there were many parents training to use PACE on their kids.  It took me 3-5 students to really get an automatic flow out of the program.  

Good Luck, and always remember that what works best for students should be our main focus as teachers, not what company we work for or any other bias.  Empirical data, not marketing, needs to be our benchmark.  

This is such an awesome list! Thanks for writing that out ~ really helpful and practical. Can't wait to check out some of those resources.

We are just at the beginning of really understanding ds's issues so I don't feel like I have a ton to offer but ds has been helped by...

1. Dianne Craft stuff (figure 8s alphabet especially)

2. Dictating his creative writing to me. It builds his confidence incredibly to see that he has a lot of good ideas inside of him and he doesn't need to be limited by his penmanship struggles. 

3. Teaching Textbooks math. For some reason, it really connects with him. I think the fact that he can listen to explanations of problems again and again helps; no pressure to get it the first time. The program is engaging and he connects with the voice of the teacher and the characters. It's also a relief from the constant me-and-him face time. 

4. Memorizing (now that you mention it) poetry with IEW stuff was good. I need to pick that back up again. It's not easy for him, but I bet the process helps him.

5. Reading, esp. Childhood of Famous Americans books and other historical fiction. This is basically playing to his strength. Unlike your son, he does not do well with auditory learning, but he is great with absorbing what he reads. So I try to feed him a ton of great books. 

6. For writing, the three-sided pencils with bumps on the edges. Better than any grip we've tried. 

Janie, your post brings back so many memories for me.  It's amazing how many things go fuzzy.  Yes, we did the triangular Ticonderoga pencils I think.  She crazy loved COFAs.  I think it's her narrative thinking.  The older oop versions (not silhouettes though) have timelines in the back that she enjoyed studying.  Yes to TT.  We did the Dianne Craft 8's and when the process got easy we stopped.  She still tested as not automatic on motor control for handwriting per the neuropsych, so I don't know if we stopped too soon or if it's just her reality.

On the typing and dictation, yes we did that.  Now I would give her my phone with Siri.  Siri is AWESOME!  We did lots of typing work, but it didn't click for her till we switched to Dvorak.  

Anyways, I think it makes people feel better to know someone before them made similar choices, so there you go.  :)

Guest crackingtheducationcode

Somers252, that's very interesting.  If you do PACE on a NT, non-struggling dc, will they also get that 15 pt bump in IQ?  

While most of my students are somewhat LD (learning disability), I've had several that were just using PACE or Learning Rx as a brain boost, to become valedictorian or college ready.  Since the physiology of the brain is similar in most humans, the activities will work just as well, if not better, on an NT student.  My own skills have skyrocketed from training with PACE, and IQ scores sometimes jump more for NT students, because they have better self-monitoring and neuro-feedback skills.  

As a corollary, many chess studies have shown documented IQ increases.  PACE has the same affect, except it improves more areas because of the 33 activities it incorporates.  PACE is a full-on sensory experience when implemented correctly (again, get the best trainer you can, and hold the trainer to high expectations) 

One thing that isn't mentioned in the marketing is that PACE / LearningRx will work excellent with former drug users, helping to reverse and correct "burnout".  The brain is not stuck in burnout, and will start reconnecting when the following 3 principles are applied (new challenges, greater complexity, and higher intensity).  Basically, giving the brain a new task, at a faster speed, and with additional distractions (or multi-tasking), force it to move.  Overload the senses appropriately, and the brain will react.  

Fight or flight.  If the brain cannot run away from an activity (flight), it will confront and adapt to the activity (fight).  

Good Luck!

I know several people who have completed Learning RX programs.  Some were very happy, some were not.  I think one very important thing to keep in mind is that Learning RX is a cognitive skills program, and any foundational deficits your child has need to be addressed first.  By foundational, I mean fine and gross motor, vision, and sensory integration.  I would get an OT eval and vision therapy (COVD) eval first, and follow through on those services before I would consider Learning RX for cogntive skills.  

I do want to comment that every single time someone posts something about Learning RX or PACE on this board, someone with very few posts who is a provider comes on to say how wonderful it is.  That is a bit suspicious to me.  I actually know people who have been happy with the services, but am not a big fan of only coming on a homeschooling parent support board to promote your program.  

Also before committing to spending that much money, I would get specific references for parents and kids who have worked with your trainer.  

Have you done any research yourself on processing speed?  Most dyslexics have low processing speed.  Most psychologists will tell you it is pretty fixed.  There have been a number of interesting threads on here about how and if processing speed can be improved.  There are a lot of different points of view on that.  One friend's son who did Learning Rx began with a processing speed below the 10th percentile.  He did gain a lot - according to the Learning RX assessments.  I believe when he was done he was in the 30th percentile range.  However my friend is not sure she sees a lot of transfer to his academic work.  I have read whatever I can find on processing speed and working memory, and it seems that the general consensus is that working memory is easier to improve.

Have you done any research yourself on processing speed?  Most dyslexics have low processing speed.  Most psychologists will tell you it is pretty fixed.  There have been a number of interesting threads on here about how and if processing speed can be improved.  There are a lot of different points of view on that.  One friend's son who did Learning Rx began with a processing speed below the 10th percentile.  He did gain a lot - according to the Learning RX assessments.  I believe when he was done he was in the 30th percentile range.  However my friend is not sure she sees a lot of transfer to his academic work.  I have read whatever I can find on processing speed and working memory, and it seems that the general consensus is that working memory is easier to improve.

A while back someone else mentioned going from single digits to 30th percentile with Interactive Metronome.  I would imagine the parent would be both elated and disappointed to realize 30th is still stinkin' challenging, especially if the dc's IQ is dramatically higher.  Might cause some skewing of how they interpret the results/benefits.  (the child might actually have objectively improved but the reality was he's still really slow)