Menu

I'm Catholic but thinking of attending a protestant church. I feel like this is wrong...

runbikeswim

Hello OP!

I'll share a little of my personal experience in hopes it might help you. I was born and raised Catholic. Unfortunately I wasn't "properly catechized". I didn't learn what the Church actually teaches. I learned some of the rules and the prayers. I married a Protestant and after our second child was born I attended my husband's family's church for the first time. I was intrigued because it was so different and I met people who truly seemed serious about their faith. I ended up leaving the Church for 15 years. My problem was that although I really loved many of the Protestant customs and teachings I still held many Catholics beliefs in my heart and it led me to feel deeply unsatisfied. There are MANY wonderful things about Protestantism. The people and churches I have encountered have stressed a personal relationship, which is SO important whether you're Catholic or Protestant. They also had a lot of support systems in place that encouraged Bible study, prayer, etc. I learned SO much as a Protestant. I ended up coming back to Catholicism after a crisis of faith. It's been absolutely amazing. Combined with my knowledge of Scripture (that I gained as a Protestant) I see the Mass and Catholicism in a totally different light. My advice is that if you maintain your Catholic beliefs you may find it difficult to attend a Protestant church. I 

I have found that seeing Catholicism from an outsider's view is powerful and many of the ladies that are defending Catholicism so passionately are converts. The Protestant churches I have been involved with were full of people who love the Lord and are serious about their faith. I think many of us Catholics can learn a little something. When you combine that with the Sacraments it is powerful. Have you read anything by Scott Hahn? I would also encourage you to look for another parish. The one we attend, which is the closest to my house, is amazing. We have regular Bible studies, a homeschool group, retreats, Adoration, etc. It's alive and full of the Holy Spirit! 

I live in a family with Protestants and Catholics. There is so much we have in common. It's hard not to focus on the differences (trust me I've learned the hard way)! 

OP, I hope you find peace!

Elise in NC

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

What???

I have already figured out that it is obviously symbolic rather than literal. (Talking about Jesus saying "this is my body, broken for you, this is my blood, shed for you"). Someone -- sorry, I've lost track exactly who -- among the Catholic believers has said that she "knows" it was meant to be a literal statement. I am honestly asking how she "knows" that, other than that's what the Catholic church teaches.

:iagree: although you could probably leave off the "like these."  All threads with potentially controversial subject matter have this happen, religious or not.  Just look at the royal baby in the carseat thread for proof. 

I disagree.  I worded my phrasing to include "like these" because the religious threads have a particular brand of vicious righteousness that doesn't appear in other controversial threads on non-religious topics.  My point being that they do not convey what the participants think they want to convey about their convictions.

Well, there was that one time we were all in agreement. I think it happened earlier this year. I don't quite remember the subject or I'd search for it. 😃

I think it happened a couple of times earlier this year... both instances where someone was asking if something was rude and we all agreed that, indeed, the offenders were rude.  I don't recall what the offenses were, though.  I just recall that we were all quite happily surprised that not a single person dissented.

Of course you realize that as a non-Catholic Christian his perspective will be as one who believes jesus was figuratively speaking, yes?

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on what I was asking him. I didn't want to know what he believes the Scriptures say -- you're right that we already know that.

What I wanted to get from him was whether it was accurate to say that historically the perspective had been that Jesus had been speaking literally rather than figuratively.

What???

I have already figured out that it is obviously symbolic rather than literal. (Talking about Jesus saying "this is my body, broken for you, this is my blood, shed for you"). Someone -- sorry, I've lost track exactly who -- among the Catholic believers has said that she "knows" it was meant to be a literal statement. I am honestly asking how she "knows" that, other than that's what the Catholic church teaches.

Me?