Menu

My email account was hacked....ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Excelsior! Academy

We only have one email.  I am the primary user.  I thought you only got hacked if you looked up questionable links, which did not occur.  I am on day two of no email and I NEED the content in the account.  I am kicking myself for not saving content I needed and not having an alternative address!  This is frustrating!!

Why aren't you using your e-mail?

I was hacked the other day, too, for the first time. I immediately sent out another e-mail to my contacts telling them I was spammed and not to open the link. Then I changed and strengthened my password for my e-mail, updated all my other passwords (which took most of the day) and ran several anti-malware/spyware programs. Nothing showed up, so we're back to normal. From what I could tell by looking online, those are what I needed to do. I read that if I couldn't find any viruses on the computer that somehow they figured out what the password was. If you have different information about what to do, would you share it?

Jean, I knew my e-mail was hacked when my dh called from work asking if I'd sent everyone in my contact list a one sentence e-mail with a link to check out Vietnam. It was interesting to me that, even though my hacked e-mail addy was in my contacts, that e-mail wasn't sent to me and there's nothing in my sent folder indicating it was sent from my account so I wouldn't have known until someone told me. 

How do you know you were hacked?

I was told by customer support.

Why aren't you using your e-mail?

I was hacked the other day, too, for the first time. I immediately sent out another e-mail to my contacts telling them I was spammed and not to open the link. Then I changed and strengthened my password for my e-mail, updated all my other passwords (which took most of the day) and ran several anti-malware/spyware programs. Nothing showed up, so we're back to normal. From what I could tell by looking online, those are what I needed to do. I read that if I couldn't find any viruses on the computer that somehow they figured out what the password was. If you have different information about what to do, would you share it?

Jean, I knew my e-mail was hacked when my dh called from work asking if I'd sent everyone in my contact list a one sentence e-mail with a link to check out Vietnam. It was interesting to me that, even though my hacked e-mail addy was in my contacts, that e-mail wasn't sent to me and there's nothing in my sent folder indicating it was sent from my account so I wouldn't have known until someone told me.

I am not using my email because I still can't access it. I keep getting error messages saying someone else is using my account. Customer support says it could be another 24 to 48 hours before the problem is fixed.

I am not using my email because I still can't access it. I keep getting error messages saying someone else is using my account. Customer support says it could be another 24 to 48 hours before the problem is fixed.

Oh my goodness, how frustrating! Could you set up a yahoo or google e-mail account and ask customer service if they could forward specific e-mails to that acct? I have no idea if they could even do that, but 4 days without e-mail would be very difficult! 

I hope customer service is able to resolve this today!

That stinks!

You will want to be careful when your account is back up; my niece had her account hacked and it sent spam to everyone in her address book for ages.

The above does not fall into the "hacked" category.  When spam is sent to others from an email account, it is a indication that there is a malware on the computer.  If people (e.g., my older family members) don't know that they need to scan for malware on their computer, I generally suggest they need to also scan for a virus afterwards since they tend to not know about that either.

I always suggest starting with Malwarebytes and AVG - both can be downloaded for free from CNET.com.