Menu

Who has stuck with LFC and finished all 3 books?

I'm curious.  We are almost finished with book LFC B.  It's been slow going.  I've even contemplated switching ds over to First Form instead of going to LFC C.  But we are almost to the last book.  I'm familiar with the program and how it works.  So, if you've made it through the whole program, can you encourage me a little.  How did C go? Overall, did the program prepare your student for the next phase of Latin? 

Both of my girls completed all 3 books in the LfC series.  My older one moved into the Latin Alive series and did very well with the first book.  I thought the LfC books were excellent preparation.  A lot of the grammar memory work was already learned, so she could focus more on the other grammar topics.  It also gave her a great start in vocabulary as well.  This fall I'll have DD1 in Latin Alive 2 and 3, DD2 in Latin Alive 1, and DS1 starting LfC A.  If it's working for you, then I'd encourage you to keep going.  HTH

My boys completed LfC A-C and then went into Wheelock's with VP online. The transition to Wheelock's was smooth and painless. No problems whatsoever.  (In fact, they only audited the LfC C class in 6th, so it wasn't as serious a study as it could have been, and they still had an easy transition to Wheelock's in 7th.)

If they had done LfC A & B in 5th & 6th grade instead of 4th & 5th, I'd have had them go from LfC A&B into Wheelock's.  I don't like LfC C's use of passages of early modern history written in Latin for translation.

My daughter has done LfC A & B in 4th & 5th and will be doing Latin Alive 1 or Latin for the New Millennium in 6th.  She'll move into Wheelock's in 7th.  Two thirds of LA 1 will be review for her, but she's a little young and lacks the stamina, I think, for Wheelock's, so I figure she'll be getting practice & review, plus learning about Roman people & culture from LA1 or from LNM. 

I would definitely not move from LfC A&B to First Form.  Stick with what works or move forward. How about moving to LA1, if you really need a change and your student isn't ready for Wheelock's yet?