Menu

The cat left behind

Pegasus

We have a cat, about 12 years old, who lost her sister a few months ago to kidney disease.  She has become much more demanding of human attention, and cries (meows) much more than she ever did before. DH thinks the solution is to get another cat to keep her company.  However, at her age, I think she would have trouble accepting a new cat. 

What thinks the hive?

Talk to a cat rescue.  If you are willing to accept a cat (not a kitten) maybe they will let you have a play date to see if your cat and a new buddy would get along.  

My mil used to rescue large older dogs.  She had up to 5 at a time for a while.  When ever she was considering bringing home a new dog, she always insisted on a couple of play dates at her home, to monitor the dog and her other animals with it. 

There was only one dog that didn't make the cut, but she was so relieved that she had taken the time for the play date. He was not a good fit and it was pretty obvious right way.

Talk to a cat rescue.  If you are willing to accept a cat (not a kitten) maybe they will let you have a play date to see if your cat and a new buddy would get along.  

That's an idea; we can certainly talk to a local cat rescue.  I'm familiar with the play dates for dogs.  Cats usually take a while to make a relationship work, even if they later end up great friends.  We've introduced new cats to existing ones but always at younger ages (<5 years).  I wasn't sure about introducing a new cat to a senior age cat.

We have a cat, about 12 years old, who lost her sister a few months ago to kidney disease.  She has become much more demanding of human attention, and cries (meows) much more than she ever did before. DH thinks the solution is to get another cat to keep her company.  However, at her age, I think she would have trouble accepting a new cat. 

What thinks the hive?

try for younger and male and one that has experience with multiple cats so it will be affable

A cat with the right personality might work.  It's hard to say though.  What was the personality of the sister cat like?

The sister cat was very laid back, affectionate, and open to change.  She accepted our dog without fear when we first brought him home.  The cat we still have took years to accept the dog.  Seriously, she stayed upstairs, away from the dog, for 3 or 4 years. 

Pumpkin is now meowing and pawing at my leg.  *sigh*

try for younger and male and one that has experience with multiple cats so it will be affable

Do you have experience with male cats?  We took in strays over the years and although we always fixed them, we had problems with males continuing to spray in the house.  I made a house rule that any future cats would be female.  Can you avoid the spraying if neutered young enough?  Would that mean getting a kitten?

Our male cats never sprayed but both came neutered.  I suggested male because when searching for a cat to join our three established female cats the shelter advised they would take better to a neutered male and we found one that had come from a home with a ton of cats so he knew how to avoid conflict.  They accepted him immediately.  He posed no threat.

We've brought cats and kittens into our home with a variety of aged cats already in residence. In our experience, kittens, of either sex, are accepted MUCH more readily than adult cats.   The older cats in the household have always been able to smack the new little guy in place when it gets too rowdy.