Menu

Letters of recommendation (or what-ever they are called)

I remember reading about letters to include with college apps.  One was various letters from different people with whom the dc has done anything significant (volunteer, work, etc.).  Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to handle that?  I mean specifically what kind of information should the "writer of the letter" include?  Also, I was thinking that when the request for the letter was made give some suggestions as to the information included and perhaps some of the wording or types of things to be included.  Is that too pushy?  Any suggestions with regard to this subject is very much appreciated!

Hot Lava Mama

The letter of recommendation typically contains the following information:

how long and in what capacity the writer has known the applicant

how the applicant compares to other students at the same stage (some schools have forms and request percentages: top 1%, 5%, 10% etc)

information about the student's performance, character, special circumstances (some schools have forms and want ratings in specific categories)

I would consider it inappropriate if a student suggested to me what content or what wording to use in the letter.

I appreciate, however, if the student assembles all pertinent information for me (which semesters he took my class, how he performed, special projects etc) to save me the trouble to look that up, and all info as to where to send the letter.

Also, the student should ask whether the person is willing to write a letter with plenty of notice (3 months) and send a timely reminder.

ETA: prompted by the other post, I would like to add:

The student should make sure to waive the right to see the content of the recommendation letter. This standard practice ensures that the writer can write a confidential letter in which he can be honest. The recommender should submit the letters directly to the colleges or electronically to the common app. If, for some reason, it is necessary to give the student a hard copy of the letter, this should happen in a sealed envelope signed across the flap so that the receivers know the content was not tampered with.

One of my more experienced friends advised me to start collecting these from adults who see my children frequently for activities. Right as the activity is ending so I don't have to track the person down in three years. We have done this a few times.

Dh, the business like one, handles it partly so I don't appear too pushy. Just a note that we are putting together their school records for the past year and would like to include some documentation that they did blank. He has provided a bit of an outline on Word(I think) so they could adjust it.

For example, they participated in an outside seminar with a field trip with a wonderful young man, who would not have had a clue what we were hoping for. We wanted a clear description of what they had done included because the course was unique and special.We provided one in the outline/sample.

He tweaked our sample quite a bit and returned a really lovely letter. He took our basics....they had completed a course where they did these things under his supervision...and made a really glowing reference for each. We just provide the basics the other party does the rest. ;)

One of my more experienced friends advised me to start collecting these from adults who see my children frequently for activities. Right as the activity is ending so I don't have to track the person down in three years. We have done this a few times.

Dh, the business like one, handles it partly so I don't appear too pushy. Just a note that we are putting together their school records for the past year and would like to include some documentation that they did blank. He has provided a bit of an outline on Word(I think) so they could adjust it.

For example, they participated in an outside seminar with a field trip with a wonderful young man, who would not have had a clue what we were hoping for. We wanted a clear description of what they had done included because the course was unique and special.We provided one in the outline/sample.

He tweaked our sample quite a bit and returned a really lovely letter. He took our basics....they had completed a course where they did these things under his supervision...and made a really glowing reference for each. We just provide the basics the other party does the rest. ;)

Question for you: what are you planning to do with these letters?

Applicants usually waive the right to see the letter, since a letter where the recommender can not write confidentially does not carry much weight, and the recommender is supposed to send the letters directly to the college/scholarship organization or submit it electronically.

How are you going to handle a stack of open paper letters collected over several years from people whom you can no longer reach?

To be honest I had never thought of the confidentiality aspect because at this point I am just using these letters as support for the grades my dc's have received. I was posting at the same time as your first post so did not have the opportunity to read it or I would not have posted. I am using them as part of their portfolio. They haven't taken complete outside classes for outside credit. But they have had a couple of opportunities to do small blocks of work with outside experts which have been incorporated into their science and math courses.

I will say my friend (part of a group I belonged to years ago in US) faithfully collected letters for all eight kids and somehow used them in her application process. If her dc's worked in a soup kitchen or any other volunteer work she had a letter. Participated in a community based course, letter. I haven't been nearly that aggressive. :lol: Her dc's to the best of my knowledge all received generous scholarships in the application process. They were bright good kids but she felt her letters gave them the edge. I would assume they had some sealed ones too.

I also want to mention the young teacher I mentioned above has stayed in touch with my kids but not others in the group he taught. It did for lack of a better description "make them stand out". He has asked them to help with a few projects etc. His career has also taken off. Well known internationally in his field. Probably an excellent sealed reference for the future which never would have been if we had not asked for those letters two years ago.

It may be best to wait until applying to college to get letters.  I'm not sure colleges are really going to care about letters from people the applicant knew years ago.

The college my daughter applied to (and got into) didn't require any letters for admission if the ACT/SAT score was over some cut off.  They will require them for applying to the honors program.

She has no outside grades except the ACT score.  And she's already been given about half the tuition in scholarship money.  If she applies to the honors program, she may get more.

While her ACT score was respectable, it wasn't anything gasp worthy.  And the school is a fine school.  Students from there have no problem going on to med school, quality grad schools, you name it.

She's still deciding if she'll bother to apply to any more schools.

My daughter had two confidential letters from current outside the home teachers that were sent directly to the colleges.

In addition to those letters and my own letter of recommendation, I also included a "To Whom it May Concern" letter which was written by my daughter's employer of three years. This was not an academic letter of recommendation but spoke to my daughter's work ethic and character. I included it in the counselor packet I mailed directly to each college. That packet included documents such as the transcript, course descriptions, reading list, school profile, my own letter of recommendation, and, in two cases, a portfolio of work.

There is another reason one might collect letters of recommendation or teacher evaluations --

I used snippets from outside teacher evaluations and an early letter of recommendation (written for a summer writing camp) in the letter of recommendation that I wrote for my daughter.

Regards,
Kareni

This is what I was getting at.  Ds is only starting 9th right now, but has volunteered some and I would like a general "character" type of thing to put in his file.  Not really looking for something necessarily to be mailed to any college, yet.  Would you be willing to share a scrubbed "basic outline" that would by typical for you to submit to the person? 

Thanks for your help.

Hot Lava Mama

I would consider it inappropriate if a student suggested to me what content or what wording to use in the letter.

I appreciate, however, if the student assembles all pertinent information for me (which semesters he took my class, how he performed, special projects etc) to save me the trouble to look that up, and all info as to where to send the letter.

Also, the student should ask whether the person is willing to write a letter with plenty of notice (3 months) and send a timely reminder.

Thanks for this information.  That was part of my confusion.  I wasn't sure if I should lean towards "helping" to write the letter, or if that would be too forward. 

I guess it would be safe to assume that someone in an authority position would probably tend to feel the same way.

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

Question for you: what are you planning to do with these letters?

Applicants usually waive the right to see the letter, since a letter where the recommender can not write confidentially does not carry much weight, and the recommender is supposed to send the letters directly to the college/scholarship organization or submit it electronically.

How are you going to handle a stack of open paper letters collected over several years from people whom you can no longer reach?

Hmm.  I guess I was thinking of collecting them as we went along instead of trying to contact the people years later.  I'm new to this whole thing, so pardon my ignorance.  So do you think that if I were to collect letters noting ds general character (or whatever they would discuss) throughout the years (and they provided them to us instead of the college) that those would be basically useless?  How is this type of thing usually handled?  For example, lets say the dc volunteered during 9th/10th grade with "X", when and how should I get a letter regarding his performance during this time? Do I wait until he is applying to college years later?  What do most people do?

Thanks for your help.

Hot Lava Mama

On the subject of specific letters for college apps, I think it is very useful to tell the writer exactly what the school or scholarship is looking for.

My children have asked for countless letters over the years--we give out a brag sheet with the request. The sheet allows for a more personalized letter.

This is talking to one of my questions.  Can you give an example of the types of things you would included on the "brag sheet"?  I assume this is what you would provide to whomever is writing the letter, along with other important information I would provide such as what they did, how long, etc.

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

So do you think that if I were to collect letters noting ds general character (or whatever they would discuss) throughout the years (and they provided them to us instead of the college) that those would be basically useless? 

I don't think they would be useless.  As I commented above, I used snippets from outside teacher evaluations and an early letter of recommendation (written for a summer writing camp) in the letter of recommendation that I wrote for my daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

It's basically a resume--pretty much everything minus an actual transcript. Here's an old one of dd's:

Name

address etc.

Academic

Achievements        Dual college enrollment, Western State College.  2009 to present.  (17 credit hours)        

Member of Western State College Orchestra (violin).  2009.

Composition chosen for jazz concert. 2009.

Athletic

Achievements        Girls’ Swimming Varsity Letter.  2009, 2011.  Top 8 in Regional Championships. 2009. 2011.  State meet participant.  2011.

Girls’ Diving Varsity Letter. 2009. Top 8 in Regional Championships. 2009.

Girls’ Cross-Country Varsity Letter.  2010.  State meet participant.  2010.  Junior Varsity Letter.  2009. Top 14 in Regional Championships. 2010

Girls’ Gymnastics Varsity Letter. 2010. Top Ten in Regional Championships, 2010. State meet participant, 2010.

Girls’ Track Varsity Letter. 2009, 2010. First in 4*800 at Regional Championships. State meet participant 2009, 2010. Junior Varsity Letter 2011.

Bolder Boulder, 2009. 13th in age group.

Wild West Relay, 2010.

NRA Small-bore Rifle Bar 8

Tri for the Cure, 2011. 6th in age group.

Civic

Involvement          Fire Fighter I training 2011. Honorary member 2011.

Red Cross Lifeguard 2009 to present with CPR, AED, BBP, Lifeguard Management.

First Responder, Division of Fire Safety, State of Colorado.

Youth City Council, 2009 to present.       

Volunteer musician for church.  2007 to present.

Sunday School teacher 2010 to present

Leadership

Positions                Red Cross Children’s Swim instructor.  2008 to present.

Western State College Masters’ Swim Coach. 2011 to present.

4-H Council Vice-president 2010 to present.

4-H Livestock Council Youth Representative 2009-2010.

4-H Horse Council Youth Representative 2008 to present.

4-H Club Council Representative 2009-2010

Owner/Operator of Heart Cross Ranch (sheep flock).  2007 to present.

4-H Riding Instructor.

4-H Club President

Mayor pro tem of Youth City Council

4-H member.  2001 to present.

Teachers Assistant for Beginning Swimming at WSC, 2011 to present.

Travel

Opportunities        Participated in U.S. Naval Academy Summer Seminar.  2011.

Participated in U.S. Military Academy Summer Leadership Seminar. 2011.

Participated in Colorado State Patrol Youth Academy.  2010.

Work

Experience            Lifeguard, Western State College.  2009 to present.

Lifeguard, City of Gunnison. 2009 to present

Swim instructor.  2008 to present.

Babysitter. Rocky Mountain Christian Church. 2008 to 2010

Ranch Hand.  2005 to present.

The formatting came out funky.

Thank you!  Thank you!  The more of these that I "see", the better I can understand what I need to be working toward!

Hot Lava Mama