Menu

If you use Art of Problem Solving...

I have written tests every couple chapters.  Regentrude also shared some tests on the Logic Stage board. 

When I make tests, I typically copy problems from the chapter review or even from the sample problems.  Sometimes I change numbers, sometimes I change the order of the problem (having them solve for what was a given in the previous wording), and sometimes I leave it just as is.

I also have my kids do the AMC 8 and/or AMC 10 exams and include those scores in my course description.

I have also been known to use questions from SAT 2 Math subject test practice sets.  However, AoPS words problems differently than the practice sets do, so that's not always a straightforward test method.

I have written tests every couple chapters.  Regentrude also shared some tests on the Logic Stage board. 

When I make tests, I typically copy problems from the chapter review or even from the sample problems.  Sometimes I change numbers, sometimes I change the order of the problem (having them solve for what was a given in the previous wording), and sometimes I leave it just as is.

I also have my kids do the AMC 8 and/or AMC 10 exams and include those scores in my course description.

I have also been known to use questions from SAT 2 Math subject test practice sets.  However, AoPS words problems differently than the practice sets do, so that's not always a straightforward test method.

Thanks for your help.  Two questions: First, what is the "AMC" exam and where could I get a copy (with answers!).  Second, where could I get a copy of the SAT 2 math subject tests and answers?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

I write a comprehensive semester final. in a previous post (please search, I don't have a link) I have shared some of our exams for algebra. We are writing our own problems in the style of AoPS, but you can simply use some of the exercises form the end of teh sections/chapters. Either save some, or give problems they already worked, they won't remember the numbers. I would, however, not reuse previously assigned word problems where the main step is translating the story into equations; those I'd make new.

AMC exams can be found in the AoPS wiki http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/AMC_Problems_and_Solutions

You'll have lots of geometry problems to choose from! There are an average of 5-6 per AMC8 test. I think there are more on average on the 10 and 12-----but those problems, especially those after the first 10 or so, will be quite difficult.

My husband writes the tests for each chapter (and typically includes material from a previous chapter or two).  His problems are typically based on the problems in the chapter review or on the examples worked in each section.

We used Regentrude's exams as finals along with Sebastian's review sheet at the end of Algebra I.  Link to the thread, there was a corresponding discussion on the high school board but I don't have that link close at hand.

One option could be to pull problems from some of the other AoPS books such as AoPS vol 1 and 2.  The topics and style are similar but some of the problems are different.

Another option would be to use the pre and post tests from the diagnostics tab under each book in the bookstore.

I'm still tinkering with how I will give a final grade but I think the components will include a bit of something for homework, the tests, and final.  I may include something for the AMC but I haven't decided yet.  (We also used Dociani for some work and I will include their chapter tests as part of my overall course grade as well.)

I'm fairly lazy and use the chapter reviews.

I use this approach as well.

My kids work to mastery. If they can answer the chapter review problems, we move on to the next chapter. The mastery grade of an A will be supported by the math section of the SAT, the SAT II subject test, and AMC scores.