Menu

QUESTION for 8FILLSTHEHEART - copywork & planning!!

For 8Fills: I read an awesome thread today you wrote a few years back about writing and how you plan your homeschool day, writing plans in 6-7 weeks blocks at a time.  I would love to know details, a sample if you will, of how you'd do it for the younger K-2 set.  I know you mentioned you are more flexible with this age group and focus mostly on the 3Rs.  But for copywork -- do you schedule it like WWE?  How do you schedule it? Do you expect narrations as well?  And what kind of planner do you use?

Thank you in advance!!!! 

Jane

I don't normally write lesson plans for the K-2 group.   It is more like keeping records vs. writing ahead of time for my younger kids.   The only planners I purchase are Catholic planners from Pflaum.   I buy the intermediate level for all of my kids.  http://www.pflaum.com/preview3/planner13/intermediate.pdf

As far as copywork, I simply select from their reading.   If they are capable of reading it, it means that it is one the correct level for it to be meaningful for them to copy.   (no point in copying something that is beyond their reading level.)   And I am really not one that "expects narrations."   It is more along the lines of discussion or a back and forth narrative vs. "narration." 

For first grade last yr my dd did 1 lesson of math;  worked through Sing, Spell, Read, Write with me; read out loud to me for about 10-15 mins; did about 2-3 sentences of copywork and we talked about capital letters, ending punctuation marks, nouns and verbs.   Those were the set things that happened every single day.

However, my kids spend tons of time doing unplanned activities on their own (arts and crafts galore, building/constructing, play productions, puppet performances,etc)  I also read to them at bedtime and the "what" would vary a lot.