Menu

Do we have to start at beginning of Life of Fred?

I just purchased life of Fred Apples for my kids, ages 7.5 and 9 (going to 2nd and 3rd). The 2nd grader has an amazing math ability and is good with numbers.

I opened up Apples and see things such as 4 + ? =7

Seriously? I'm flipping through the book...and....this is just too darn easy for a 2nd grader and 3rd. I thought we might have to skip a few chapters...but it seems like the 5 + ? = 7 keeps getting repeated over and over int his book. I'm really disappointed that this book is too easy as I really wanted to use it. If I go up to the next level, are they going to miss out on the story? 

I started my VERY math oriented kid with Apples. He went through them quickly but when I asked him if he wanted to move ahead he said no way. He wanted to follow the story. It motivated him to get through it. We do a chapter a day and he picks up things in it that I've missed.

But as with anything your mileage may vary. Just relating our experience. We've got them through Algebra and the boys want to finish so I can get the upper levels. They want more of Fred's story.

Apples is designed for first graders. I used Apples through Dogs with my K'er who was doing Singapore 1. He is a few chapters into Edgewood now.

I honestly can't say where to start an older child. My 9 year old started Fred at Fractions once he had completed some 4th grade math. He has read through the elementary series as well and learned some oddball things, but I wouldn't have bought the elementary books for him. I bought it for a kid that was at that level and has a younger brother to also use them.

Fractions used to be the beginning of the series.

Fractions used to be the beginning of the series.

:iagree:  When my kids started Fred, Fractions was the first book, and they all did it (as mostly review) after Singapore 4B.  So I think it would be safe to say that the whole 'elementary' series could be easily completed by 4th grade.

Try reading any of the many other Fred threads... There is much more to Apples than just things that add to 7, but then you have to do more with it then just sit down and read the book. Pay attention to what you are reading and be prepared to have some serious fun playing the games he shows you how to play with each of Fred's actions and in the photos. Surely if you get the idea for things that add to 7, you can apply the same idea to other numbers. Make a game out of it! This is one reason why these books are "Read in a parent's lap" style.

There is also stuff on set theory and little introductory hints to introduce algebra in there as well as time and measures... all stuff you can quite easily play games with and expand along the lines the author demonstrates for you as you read.

So, if you want them to, even the earliest books go way beyond 5+2, because the information is right there leaping out of the pages waiting to be noticed.

But, it is also just a fun read if you like to move faster and skip the good parts. Or you can start part way through the series, too. Fred is pretty flexible that way-- people here use it many different ways. If you want it to be detailed, the information is there on the pages for the asking. If you want a light supplement... Just read faster :)

OOh, that's a good idea-- my husband is very mathy (wonder where the kid gets it from) and he's definitely more of a taking it beyond the page kind of guy. Granted, I'll turn around and somehow he'll be trying to teach Calculus...but that might be a risk I need to take!

Nothing wrong with that! :D I often teach my kids random things long before their elementary math program gets to it. That's how they've all gotten a basic intro to negative numbers at age 5. And my oldest was reducing fractions when he first learned about fractions, because we just kept going with the discussion, despite his math program not teaching reducing until a year or two later. Perfectly ok to slip in those little things that are more advanced. If the kid gets it, great! They have a "peg" for later math. If it goes over their head, you just move on.

Do read the Apples book yourself. You might find some things that are "new". There is a lot packed in there. The set theory is certainly interesting. And he throws in very basic algebra, going from 3 + 4 = 7 to 3 elephants + 4 elephants = 7 to 3x+4x=7x.

You'll go through them quickly, sure, but they're worth doing/reading, for reasons stated above. I used Fred to remediate/reinforce for DD at first, and by Ice Cream it was flipped and Fred is new ground for her which I reinforce with other things.