Menu

2 or 3 of the best lit. books for American History 1 (up to 1850)

Hi,

I know there are tons of great literature for this time period.  So I am looking for your BEST ones, that you feel draw the student into the time period.  I know this is the best place to come for your opinions because their is such a wealth of wisdom here.

Thanks so much

pj

My favorite resource to survey this time period is an anthology i used in college: http://www.amazon.com/American-Tradition-Literature-Volume-alone/dp/0077239040/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373979642&sr=8-3&keywords=the+american+tradition+in+literature

I would encourage you not to choose just 2 or 3 long works but instead to try to cover bits of things over this time period. 

This way you get a real taste for each evolution of American literature. Start with Bradford's Plymouth Plantation, don't read the whole thing, just a section, Go to Anne Bradstreet's poetry. move onto to the early short story writers: Irving and Hawthorne. Add sections of longer works from Cooper. More poems from Longfellow, Whittier and Bryant. And so forth.