Menu

s/o Bakeware: Jelly roll pans

LaxMom

A number of people mentioned jelly roll pans on the bakeware thread and that got me curious: What are the dimensions of your jelly roll pans?

I have been looking at new, stainless jell roll pans to replace the Wilton pans I've had for a decade, which have now started to rust. The problem I'm running into, though, is that "jelly roll" pans come in a huge variety of sizes. The ones I'm looking at are half-sheet (12x18), but my pans are 10.5x15.5, and that's a huge difference.

For their primary purpose in my house - roasting vegetables - a half sheet would probably be ideal, but when I make a pumpkin roll or bûche de noël, I don't want the cake to come out as a cracker, you know?

I was looking at those, too! My silpats fitting inside? What a concept!

Do they warp in the oven?

I honestly don't know if my recipes expect a proper half sheet pan... They never stipulate a size, just say jelly roll. Maybe I've just been making overly thick sponge cakes this whole time. :P

Thanks, Wendy!

I have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Bakers-Half-Sheet/dp/B000G0KJG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373744374&sr=8-2&keywords=sheet+pans

I absolutely love those. I have yet to see this size in a regular store. Plus the silicone mats actually fit properly on that size.

In a regular store you can probably find the smaller ones for baking the roll cakes. Or find recipes for cakes that call for the larger size pans.

I have no-name versions of these from warehouse stores and have found the NordicWare at HomeGoods recently. Love them! And Silpats too. :)

Jelly roll is 10x15x1. I was thinking the pan here was a full sheet, jelly roll was half, but I was confused. I have some random silicone mats in jelly roll and quarter size from after Xmas clearance at Costco. The sizes always confuse DH. ;)

I have the Goldtouch from Williams-Sonoma, which I love:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-jelly-roll-pan/

Those are lovely, but spendy, and I'm not really feeling the love for coatings these days... may have had something to do with a 100% failure rate of my Calphalon One, which was replaced (by Bed, Bath, and Beyond, not Calphalon, even though not a single piece was purchased there).

Obviously, that had something to do with jelly-roll pans when I started typing it. Right?

I have no-name versions of these from warehouse stores and have found the NordicWare at HomeGoods recently. Love them! And Silpats too. :)

Jelly roll is 10x15x1. I was thinking the pan here was a full sheet, jelly roll was half, but I was confused. I have some random silicone mats in jelly roll and quarter size from after Xmas clearance at Costco. The sizes always confuse DH. ;)

A commercial sheet pan is 18x24x2. I have a half-sheet cake pan for brownies (Barefoot Contessa recipe... Seriously good, even modified to GF with sort of crappy flour). It is AWESOME for making this caramel popcorn that is like crack. Because I double the recipe. (Also, we have a peanut allergic kid, so I use cashews, sometimes almonds). We are not as disgusting as this pan would imply. I freeze 3/4 of the brownies (or bring them to large group pot lucks), and the crack corn appears to be what is expected for me to bring to team parties (I make two double batches). 

Gee. That had something to do with pan sizing when I started typing...

Anyway. Wendy, thanks for the review. I have one in my Amazon cart along with a 25# bag of Cup4Cup that I'm trying to talk myself into being ok for almost $30 more than what I was paying to my buying club before they discontinued it in our warehouse. sigh

I have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Bakers-Half-Sheet/dp/B000G0KJG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373744374&sr=8-2&keywords=sheet+pans

I absolutely love those. I have yet to see this size in a regular store. Plus the silicone mats actually fit properly on that size.

In a regular store you can probably find the smaller ones for baking the roll cakes. Or find recipes for cakes that call for the larger size pans.

I have pans like that. I love them. I don't know the brand of mine, I bought them through a school cafeteria.