Menu

Saxon or Teaching Textbooks

We've been using AOP's Horizons math since the beginning and my son is just completing grade 4. It has worked just alright for us and seems to be getting more and more cumbersome with each grade. Needing more teacher guidance seems to be the main issue. With the two little ones under foot and my son's growing need for independence I was thinking something with more computer instruction would be nice. He does well with math and as long as there is ample instruction seems to pick it up rather easily. I want him to enjoy math more without it being too easy. You know, that perfect balance of challenge that doesn't frustrate. This is my fear of TT. I have heard rumor that it is way too easy and that you have to place a grade or two grades ahead, even then still missing concepts. Anything you can tell me about either program would be much appreciated.

My step-son used Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra through Pre-Calculus. It is a spiral math program, which is what he needed. After years of worrying it was going to ruin him, he got a 25 on the ACT math section. He graduated 2 years ago now and got into every school he applied to and has had no problems with math courses since. It's definitely not the most rigorous program but it worked for him.

I have never used Saxon so I can't compare the two.

We have used both TT and Saxon here.  I will say that it is important to use the placement tests for both of these when you are changing publishers.  And try not to be freaked out if your kid places into a different level than you expected.  Scope and sequence are different for different books.

That being said - Saxon middle school books (5/4, 6/5, 7/6, 8/7) are really good.  We always used them as write-in workbooks (similar to what you have in Horizons).  The lesson is in the book, written to the student, so that helps reduce the teaching time.

Teaching Textbooks - we used the computer version, so dd did her work on scratch paper and then put the answers in on the laptop.  It has whiteboard-type lectures built in for each lesson (you can get this for Saxon too, but they are purchased separately).  Compared to Saxon, the lessons are shorter and have fewer problems.  Less review of previous materials in TT as well (though it is spiral and they keep bringing back old topics).

I strongly suggest trying the sample lessons online for both to get an idea of which might work better for you.

Guest shedayz

my DS did TT Math 5, and skipped Math 6 because he somehow managed to teach himself what he needed to know. We are using Math 7 this fall. DD used TT for Alg I and Geometry and will be using it again for Alg II in the fall. I can't compare to Saxon though, sorry.

Saxon is very spiral. I think most people would consider TT to be a traditional curriculum meaning that a concept is introduced, practiced, reviewed and then you move on, i.e. mastery. Even the TT website says they are "traditional" but they do not use the word mastery.

I have used Saxon as a teacher and TT as a homeschool mom. My kids hated TT. 

I'm in a similar predicament. We have used horizons up until now. She is just finishing up 3rd grade. Problem is she wants something that is more independent. I have used saxon in the past and she asked to use that. She took the placement and tested into 6/5. So I am going to let her use that along with books 1 to the key to series. With Horizons being so far ahead I would just make sure you do a placement test for whichever you decide.

I was in the same boat a couple months ago....Saxon or TT?  We've used Saxon for awhile now....1, 2, 3, 4/5, 7/6, 8/7....spread out b/w three kids.  My oldest rising 8th grader did not want to continue with Saxon for Alg. I.....we bought the books and Art Reed CD's (she prefers over DIVE) and had her look through them.  I had her look through TT at our hs convention.  She was sold!  We bought TT at our convention and I hope we made the right choice.  She will be using LOF on Friday's as well and Khan Academy if problems should arise. 

We are using a mix of Math Mammoth, LOF, and TT6 for my rising 5th grader instead of Saxon.  She loathed Saxon.....but we are still using Saxon's drill fact practice sheets along with xtraMath when she gets burn out with writing facts down. 

After using Saxon K & 1 with my 1st grader we started MM and haven't look back!

I vote for Saxon.  We used Horizons up to 3rd Grade and then I found she was getting too much review.  She didn't need to do 20 multiplication problems.  She wanted to move on.  So I switched to Saxon and we've never looked back.  She has plowed thru 5/4 with ease.  In the fall she will complete 5/4 and we will move on into 6/5.  Somehow Saxon has just the right amount of review for a kid who just "gets it" with math.  DD is by no means a math genius, but she grasps new stuff pretty quickly.  Admittedly, her dad and I are "mathy" folks.  He and I used Saxon in MS thru HS and we both did just fine in calculus at Georgia Tech.  I may be biased, but I believe Saxon prepared us well for rigorous math at the college level.  And neither on us were math geniuses.  Just average kids in the gifted program at PS.