Menu

Computer based learning for child with physical limitations

DS has a physical disability that affects muscle control, most notably in his hands. We are now at the point of realizing that his output ability via traditional pen/paper will likely never advance much beyond where they are today (scores around 8/9-year-old in mechanics).

Therapists and doctors keep saying, "It is so great that you homeschool! Just put all of his schooling on the computer."

But - how? what?

What programs are available for the computer?

I don't really want supplemental subjects - like a software program that covers vocabulary and nothing else.

I also don't want programs that focus on educational games.

His school computer has Windows 8 and we have had problems finding software that actually runs on that operating system. (Havne't tried since we got burned by two purchases back in December. May be better now?)

We do have an iPad mini that we could utilize more.

We have used a mix of LCC and AO, currently in the middle of year 6. 

I know we will be dropping AO from the mix.

Will need to tweak LCC, but will keep on their history and literature schedule.

DS wants to be an engineer and/or scientist.

Language arts is the area that is giving me the most trouble:

DS reads well above grade level, so we have been doing much of his school work via reading and discussion.

His spelling is terrible, as he can't hold an pen/pencil and think and move hand at the same time.  (Neurologist opinion of this issue.) He can memorize spelling rules but can't apply them while attempting to write. His spelling while typing is much better. On standardized testing, he does test on grade level for spelling due to testing method. (More of an editing/visual test, in my opinion.) 

I am greatly concerned about how one gets through life when they cannot spell in a traditional manner. Just rely on technology?

We have stalled out on grammar and Latin due to the penmanship issue.

Writing is a sore subject for us, as I pushed too hard before we were aware of his physical limitations. I have been re-doing WWE on the computer and his writing has improved greatly. But - it has been insanely teacher intensive.

I have been looking at either SOS or Monarch for LA, just to try to simplify our lives for this year, see if I can pull him up in writing and spelling via a computer-based program. 

What computer-based programs are available?

(I really don't want on-line classes at this point, as our schedule is too crazy.)

If you were educating a bright, college-bound child with limited use of their hands - what would you use? Please toss out any curriculum suggestions or adaptive technology ideas.

We do have an iPad mini that we could utilize more.

If you were educating a bright, college-bound child with limited use of their hands - what would you use? Please toss out any curriculum suggestions or adaptive technology ideas.

I'll let your son try out Dragon Dictation on the iPad because it is free and would help ease the pain of physically writing. I would also load the eBooks/PDFs of books/textbooks he might be interested onto the iPad for him to read on the go.

Not sure if you have read about Stephen Hawking, just putting it out there as he succeeded despite the odds.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/living-with-als.html

I'll let your son try out Dragon Dictation on the iPad because it is free and would help ease the pain of physically writing. I would also load the eBooks/PDFs of books/textbooks he might be interested onto the iPad for him to read on the go.

Not sure if you have read about Stephen Hawking, just putting it out there as he succeeded despite the odds.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/living-with-als.html

I forgot to mention that we do have Dragon and have been using it some. We had hoped it would bridge us until we saw grand improvement in his writing, but it is not looking likely at this point. We don't want to give up, but also need to be realistic and not let it continue to slow down his education.

Question about PDFs: 

Say I put a textbook PDF on the computer, is there a way for him to type/answer questions on the PDF?

What about workbooks?

We are currently using the test book that goes with SOTW, as he can circle or do T/F - not pretty, but can do basics to get it done.

If we bought a PDF of said test book, could he fill it out on the comptuer?

I have been adapting most of his lessons for the computer or doing them orally. But I can't keep this up and need to actually find things that are ready-to-go on the computer.

I am familiar with Hawking and keep thinking how incredibly well he uses adaptive technology.

I am so clueless with tech. DH works in the tech field, but is not familiar with this application of tech.

Question about PDFs:

Say I put a textbook PDF on the computer, is there a way for him to type/answer questions on the PDF?

What about workbooks?

On the iPad, my boys use Adobe Reader (free) to type their answers onto the PDF. For the computer, you might need adobe acrobat instead of just the adobe reader.

on the iPad, DD12 uses Notability to type answers into the PDF and save them.  She can also circle multiple choice answers.  We found that using a stylus made typing/circling easier on the iPad, but you probably want to try it to see what works for your son. 

IMO, you need to do some more research on how to use Dragon.  I have a co-worker who is a computer programmer and uses it almost exclusively.  She has some use of one hand and uses a trackball in place of a mouse (small finger movements instead of lower arm movement).  She can get Dragon to do anything on the computer that I can do.  There is certainly a place for that sort of technology for engineering and computer careers. 

As far as computer-based classes:  in previous years, we used Teaching Textbooks on the computer - that worked great for DD as she would work out the problems on the white board (large arm movement is better for her) and then type in her answers.  I am currently trying to decide between Holt Life Science and CPO Life Science for next year - both have PDF student texts that DD can use on the iPad and put the answers in with Notability (same for labs). 

For other classes, North Dakota Distance Education has some middle school course online http:/www.ndcde.org and there are options like Time4Learning for younger kids. Monarch would be a good choice as well.

Have you looked at using OneNote for him to produce his work in? He could do a variety of things - record audios and videos for you, dictate, type - even write with a tablet (I'm not sure if Outline+ on the mini would import the writing into OneNote on the PC - haven't gotten that far).

This BLOG post might give you some ideas to consider!

http://desertramblings.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/how-technology-helps-me-homeschool-while-working-full-time/