Menu

Science question - need help filling in astronomy extras for physical science

My daughters are in grades 6 and 3. My 6th grader is highly motivated and inhales academics. My 3rd grader is a "stop and smell the roses" type of learner. :) In an effort to conserve time, I have both of them in Noeo Physics (different levels). I feel like I have numerous 'extras' for most of the topics covered (magnets, force, levers, light, sound, etc). What I don't have are extra items for astronomy. Both girls have used a telescope (actually, our neighbor has a great one we borrow on occasion that is incredibly powerful). I'm not interested in 'building a solar system'.

What can I use for astronomy? I do have some books that we will be reading (or re-reading), but it pales in comparison to the other neat items I've listed for the other topics.

I'm looking for materials for a very math/science oriented 6th grader (who isn't afraid of being challenged) and for a 3rd grader who enjoys reading and doing but is content to close the book at the end of the day.

I'm looking for materials for a very math/science oriented 6th grader (who isn't afraid of being challenged)

NASA Space math would be killing two birds with one stone for math and science enrichment.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465235-space-math-nasa/

There are a few good books on the physics of telescopes. I'll link later if I can remember the titles. We also watched all the NOVA ScienceNow episodes especially the ones on the Hubble Telescope

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we have this for the coming year:

http://www.homeschoolscience.com/homeschool_science/astronomy.html

It includes materials for two dc and the paperwork is reproducible.

Lessons:

1-track the moon's cycles

2-observe moon with binoculars and draw as much detail as you can while learning vocabulary

3-use a lamp, ping pong ball, and a ruler to learn about phases

4-make a map of the solar system with stickers

5-model planets with clay and balloons (you do not "build" the system, just form the planets to certain sizes for comparison)

6-interplanetary hike (make flags to represent planets and pace off comparative distances between them)

7 and 8-create artificial gravity by spinning a cup of water

9-create an artificial greenhouse with plastic container

10-observe constellations, then create your own design for one

11-15 observation lessons, they tell you what months are best to do each one and have maps and the like to help you find what you are looking for

16-curved space, shows how even though objects tend to move in a straight line, space forces them to move in a curve, uses a balloon and a bb

It appears that most, if not all of the supplies are included though I bought the version without binoculars since we own several sets.  The lessons do not build on each other, so you can jump around or skip any that do not appeal to you.  Everything appears simple to do since I am not much of a hands-on teacher and despise gathering materials and building projects.  It just seems doable.

I am tempted by this book from the "look inside". It has simple physics thrown in that your 6th grader would be able to understand and not too hard for your 3rd grader.

Astronomy: A Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self-Teaching Guides)

http://www.amazon.com/Astronomy-Self-Teaching-Guide-Wiley-Guides/dp/0470230835

I still owe you the title for the optics of telescope book. I had return to the library sometime ago and couldn't find it on the shelf a few days ago.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still undecided. We do live about an hour away from a planetarium which would be a fun trip.

I'm happy so far with how it's coming together. Both girls are doing Physics and I've purchased extra books as well as snap circuits, k'nex levers and pulleys, and other fun kits.

They are also doing an extra project not related to physical science. My 6th grader wants to study human anatomy and learn about bones. My 3rd grader wants to study fish and creeks. I think I have those taken care of.

We ordered most of the items yesterday but I'm still hunting a few last things.

They are also doing an extra project not related to physical science. My 6th grader wants to study human anatomy and learn about bones. My 3rd grader wants to study fish and creeks. I think I have those taken care of.

They might want to immerse fish bones in vinegar in a glass jar to see the effect on the bones, if they have not tried that before.

ETA:

We'll be making the planisphere again for stargazing. My boys misplaced their old ones

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/starclock/starwheel.pdf