Menu

Root canal in child's permanent tooth today...please help

Homemaker

I'm assuming a dentist also believes your child needs the root canal. Three of my teeth were damaged in an accident as a child and I had to have root canals. It wasn't necessarily a pleasant experience but after it was over I was fine. I don't have health problems and am a very healthy person. I hope you aren't projecting this fear so that your child becomes fearful of a dental procedure that is quite common.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Thanks, no, I am keeping the fear bottled up and away from my kids as best I can. My husband will be the one in the room with her. We are spending the morning doing fun stuff before the procedure. My daughter is not scared at all, she is excited to get laughing gas. I am mainly terrified about the future health.

I had my first root canal in 5th grade when I fell on the monkey bars and broke my front tooth. I'm 49 this month. My health is fine, not sure why you are terrified about his future health. My mother had one in same tooth when she was in high school. She's 73 this year. No daily medications still and is busy and active. My son now 15 had one at 12 due to soccer ball in face, he is my healthiest child. They are not fun, but not the end of the world either. I''m sorry she has to go through it, not a very pleasant experience.

The root canal can save a tooth. It doesn't always work depending on the condition of the tooth. I don't understand why you don't want her to have one if it is a chance for the tooth to stay. Otherwise, you probably are looking at an extraction and an implant. The option to replace the back tooth is usually an implant.

I had one root canal fail - back molar. I have to get an implant ($$) because the top tooth opposite the opening doesn't have anything against it now and could eventually come out.

My endodontist told me that most compromised teeth (cavities, fillings, injured, etc.) are the ones that eventually will need root canals to save them.

Do you have any links to articles that show research connecting root canals and illness that is NOT Winston Price from 100 years ago?

I have 4 or 5 root canals, don't remember how many. No problems here. I know many, many people with root canals that are in great physical condition. No problems for them either.

I haven't heard any horror stories about illnesses from root canals, particularly not any horror stories stemming from root canals by highly-skilled, high-tech endodontists. (I've had two.) Sure, bad things can happen in life unpredictably, but I don't believe illness is a significant likelihood. I worry a lot about my kids with regard to a lot of medical angles; this would not be something I'd waste energy worrying about, beyond getting her through the procedure (which will be fine). Good luck today!!!