Menu

How did you tell your kids...

hollyh

Ours was a Christmas surprise for the kids too, one more present under the tree...who could that be for? It was a set of board books for the baby. You could do something like that without it being Christmas, just come home from somewhere and wow, there's a present on the kitchen table! Who is that for?

That you were pregnant? Dh and I want to think of some fun way to let them know so we are looking for ideas. :)

Welll......I can say how NOT to do it. I had just found out I was pregnant the day before. I hadn't told anyone yet, other than DH. My sister called, and told me SHE was pregnant, and had just found out. Then she told me her due date, and it was the same as mine! I couldn't help but spill the beans, not realizing my 12 year old son was standing behind me. So he overheard the conversation and figured it out. When I hung up he just looked at me, shaking his head, and said, "Really? Both of you? This means more baptisms, doesn't it?" followed by a big sigh. I found his reaction hysterical, and totally him. I don't remember how i told my daughter, but she was little...they are a bit over 2 years apart, so not much help there.

We just told them that we were going to have a baby :) We should have videotaped it though. Our 3 year old started laughing and jumping up and down, and ended up laying on the floor kicking his feet and giggling. So, whatever you do, get a video!

This is how we told:

Christmas2009-500.jpg

LOL, okay, just kidding. She was a few weeks old at that point, so he already knew, but oh how I wish we could have told him this way! :-) I really can't remember how we told him.... but if we get to tell such happy news again, we will probably tell him and DD at the same time as my parents, and then everyone else immediately afterwards. DS and DD are not good secret keepers, LOL.

Wow, it wasn't that long ago, but I don't remember. I do remember that I thought our kids knew and understood, and I kept dragging them to appointments with me (where I'd be talking with the doctor about the pregnancy and baby,etc.) and then realized they didn't know and they'd apparently been tuning out boring adult/doctor talk at the appointments. I don't remember how we re-told them. :)