Menu

MCT island level in first grade?

Aoife

DS1 is 6 and we have done grammar work using GWG so he knows basics. He reads on a 3rd grade level and can independently read chapter books. I already have the full island level set and was thinking of starting it with him this year. If we don't start it I am not sure yet what we'd do LOL. I should mention he has also completed LOE essentials. If you think it's too early can you offer some suggestions I could look at? Thanks!

I say go for it, though my daughter is younger so I'm speaking only from experience with working out-of-level and not with MCT. There seem to be many people who use MCT early on the Accelerated Learner board, so you could try asking there for experiences with this.

We did it when my eldest was 6 and my middle child was 4. We had already done a level (maybe 2? I can't remember) of GWG and maybe also Grammarland (or maybe we did that after Island). Either way, just try it. If it's too much, back off and wait a while. The only parts we skipped were the writing assignments (although we did some aloud). We then took a year off and did other programs (e.g., KISS, more GWG, Secret History of Grammar, etc.) and have now started the Town level. I also plan on taking a similar break between Town and Voyage (i.e., more KISS which we still do concurrently with MCT, but maybe I'll add Killgallon back in during the Town/Voyage interlude).

My DS loves grammar and language, so when he was 5/6 we did lots of grammar, including FLL1-3, GWG1-3 and MCT Island and part of Town level (excluding any writing parts). He *loved* doing the practice sentences in Island level, and MCT was much more fun than either FLL or GWG (though FLL and GWG are more "straightforward", and cover more topics).

Anyway, if your DS seems interested and ready, I'd read through MCT Island with him and do practice sentences together and see how it goes. It is a fun program and the content will be easy for him to grasp since he already has some grammar under his belt.

Also, another thought for you to consider - DS was flying through grammar and really enjoying it, but it got to be *very* repetitive after a while. It occurred to me to try some Latin instead, so we started Getting Started With Latin, and we were off!! We will get back to MCT at some point, I'm sure, but for now we are doing LOTS of Latin and he loves it. I started GSWL with him at 5.5, we spent a year on that book (didn't need to take nearly that long, but I dragged it out), and now we are working through both Lingua Latina and Latin Alive (I switch off between the two depending on what we are in the mood for). The English grammar we had done, plus the GSWL, has been a *fabulous* foundation for Latin for him (both of us, really, since I am brand new to Latin also), the Latin study has continued to advance our grammar and vocabulary, and plus we find it just plain fun. So it is something to consider for the future, or even now, if you are interested in trying out GSWL!

We did Island the summer between 1st and 2nd Grades. My son had just turned 7 (and, in fact, MCT was a birthday gift).

The grammar portion was no problem. He loved it, it was just right. The vocabulary book was right on level too.

The one element that is "advanced" is the poetics. Much of it, especially the discussion of formal elements like "meter" where beyond his level for "mastery." But I was happy to use it as an "exposure pass." There is no harm, to my mind, in returning to the materials again later. The poetics is advanced, but also the most extraordinary language arts materials I've ever seen aimed at children. But poetics is the "hard" book in the bunch.

Bill

Ugh. Posts like these make me second guess my decision to start with Island instead of Town for DD (rising 3rd). Maybe I should go with Town after all and just get the Island poetics and vocab to do for an intro at the beginning of the year...

She has finished WWE2 and R&S 3 and is a very advanced reader with an excellent vocabulary. I was about to place the order and now I am suddenly undecided again. Aaaaah!

Ugh. Posts like these make me second guess my decision to start with Island instead of Town for DD (rising 3rd). Maybe I should go with Town after all and just get the Island poetics and vocab to do for an intro at the beginning of the year...

She has finished WWE2 and R&S 3 and is a very advanced reader with an excellent vocabulary. I was about to place the order and now I am suddenly undecided again. Aaaaah!

Don't second guess. Island is not pitched to a first grade level - a third grader, even a gifted third grader, will get plenty out of it. You will probably move through parts of Island very quickly, but there is a lot of depth there to explore. I don't think you will be disappointed.

thanks so much! I feel more confident about starting it now. I think he should be able to handle a good deal of the writing as he's been journaling and writing little stories for a while now. We'll just take it slower on the poetry as he hasn't had much exposure to poetry yet.

I debated between the Island level and the Town level for my 4th grader last year. In the end, I went with the Island level and am not upset that I did. My 4th grader loved it and learned so much. My 2nd grader wanted to try MCT too, so I let him, and he learned so much as well. My 4th grader moved a lot faster than my 2nd grader, but that was to be expected. Either way, they both enjoyed the Island level and I'm so glad I didn't skip it with any of my kids.

I would definitely go with your first instinct and start with the Island level. There's so much to learn and enjoy. Some people on these boards don't like the poetry books as much as the rest, but my kids loved the poetry. My 2nd grader, who "hates" school couldn't get enough of the poetry book and started to write poems just for fun--he's still doing this even though it's technically "summer". LOL

thanks so much! I feel more confident about starting it now. I think he should be able to handle a good deal of the writing as he's been journaling and writing little stories for a while now. We'll just take it slower on the poetry as he hasn't had much exposure to poetry yet.

Many of the ideas in the poetry books are really well presented, with great examples and well done art and typographic layout that complements the lessons. He (MCT ) successful gets children thinking about the "sounds" of language, and how the sound effects the experience of the reader. Many of the ideas, things like "assonance" or "consonance" will probably be assimilated. Just don't be suprised if the section on meter is an "exposure pass."

Bill

I debated between the Island level and the Town level for my 4th grader last year. In the end, I went with the Island level and am not upset that I did. My 4th grader loved it and learned so much. My 2nd grader wanted to try MCT too, so I let him, and he learned so much as well. My 4th grader moved a lot faster than my 2nd grader, but that was to be expected. Either way, they both enjoyed the Island level and I'm so glad I didn't skip it with any of my kids.

I would definitely go with your first instinct and start with the Island level. There's so much to learn and enjoy. Some people on these boards don't like the poetry books as much as the rest, but my kids loved the poetry. My 2nd grader, who "hates" school couldn't get enough of the poetry book and started to write poems just for fun--he's still doing this even though it's technically "summer". LOL

Good to hear! I'll be starting it with my 4th grader in a few months.