Menu

Another MCT questions!

mom@shiloh

I have finally broken down/ been sucked in/ enthusiastically jumped on-board with MCT. I am definitely using it for my 3rd, 4th and 6th grade children. I am also teaching an 8th and 9th grader who I think could both use some grammar and vocabulary review. I like the looks of MCT so much, that I'm sorry I missed it with the older two and am trying to decide how/if I could use it with them.

Any recommendations on how to implement it with the older children? Where should I start? TIA.

I've finally started working on the Island level with my rising 5th grader. We are just going through the books in a pretty quick manner (trying for four times a week) and hopefully we can finish it quickly and move onto the next level.

• 4 weeks later...

We have done the first 3 levels. My only caution is that some of the instruction in the grammar books will probably seem childish to older kids (not the grammar itself but the way it's presented)...my son was 10-12 years old going through the 3 levels, and there was a great deal of eye rolling, especially with the writing portion of the first 2 levels. Lots of kids love the whimsical presentation; my daughter enjoys it, my son did NOT.

Grammar Voyage is so similar to Grammar Town that you really only need one or the other. I do like the way MCT suggests you cover grammar quickly at the beginning of the year; it can be done in 8 weeks or so.

The vocabulary component is great for ANY age; it will also include reinforcement of the grammar instruction.

There is actually another MCT thread going that might be helpful. I posted my response there in regards to just starting the Island program with my 7th and 6th grader and I would agree that although somewhat childish, there is good solid information in there that has been new to my children.

Here's the other thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/481619-grammar-rs-vs-mct/