Menu

yukon xl question- carseats

hollyh

We currently have a Yukon XL 2003, bucket seats in first row, bench in back. Are there three carseats/booster seats that will fit in the back on the bench? We currently have large carseats, but I'm curious if I can get three kids in the back row if we changed what carseats they have, or moved them to some kind of booster seats?

Thanks!

I know that the Radian by Diono (formerly Sunshine Kids) is very narrow and many people have success getting three across with them in small sedans. radian_rxt_child_car_seat_3_three_across-9-800-600-80.jpg

From their website:

Fitting 3 Radian seats side by side requires a minimum interior width of 49†(51†for minivans), as measured from door arm rest to door arm rest across the back seat.

In my Suburban third row (pretty much the same as the yukon xl), at one point we had a Sunshine Radian and two narrow boosters - I think they were under the name of Fisher-Price but might be under another name now - I can't remember. Regular boosters are usually too wide. The problem is that the space between the buckles for the middle seat is not wide enough to accommodate just about anything. I never tried to put the Radian in the middle - too hard to buckle in with the boosters. Maybe it would be easier to have three Radians back there since, unlike boosters, you wouldn't have to be buckling with the regular buckles on a daily basis. (My hands hurt just thinking about it)

Also, we have had difficulties with the holes where the seat belt buckles go - they fall in between the carseats when the kids are trying to buckle. I stuffed a bunch of rags in the holes so that the buckles don't fall down and are easier to reach.

Just as an aside-we have a Radian and those seats are an absolute beast. They are incredibly heavy and heaven help us should the preschooler have an accident because taking it out and apart to wash is not an enjoyable task. Maybe I've been spoiled by having used a Britax for most of my kids but man, do Dh and I ever dislike the Radian (other than for width, which is why we bought and continue to use. NOw that that is out of my system, I am able to get three car seats in the back of a Suburban if we use the Radian in one of the spots.

I was also going to suggest the Radians. We fit two and one regular seat across the back of a Hyundai Elantra for a few years. They are very, very narrow. But very comfortable and built like tanks. Great seats. Pricey but cheaper than buying a new car.

Yes they are definitely heavy--steel frame construction--but still worth it, to my mind. And I have messy kids and my 2yo sometimes has accidents. We deal.

I love our Radians and the Diono company.

A year and a month ago, my minivan was T-boned right behind my daughter's Radian by a guy driving 55+ as he ran through a stop sign. My daughter had only bruising where she had taken off the strap covers. We sent Diono pictures of the wreck, they sent us new cars seats, and we just had to send back our damaged car seats (they covered postage). Their customer service is very quick and fantastically friendly.

Be warned if your kids are young they could be in these seats for a long time. I had called their customer service 2 weeks before our accident to see if my 38lb 6yo could move up using the seat as a booster. They checked with their engineers and said, "The booster is not recommended until 50lbs". So here we are a year later and my now 7yo is only 46lb and still riding in a 5pt harness.

They are a beast to install. I paid a certified installer to teach me how the first time, but now it is a breeze.