Menu

RightStart--what manipulatives to keep when selling?

I think I'm going to sell off my RS A-C. I'm wondering what manipulatives, if any, I should keep? Are there some things that are good to hold onto? If so, would you keep them back and sell the rest? Or is it better to just let go and sell it all. I was wondering about the card games book, abacus, those fraction things...I don't know! What's valuable to keep? We're going to be doing Singapore/Math in Focus and Math Mammoth.

Well what of the manips do you find yourself using right now? A 3rd grader is right at the point of outgrowing the manips anyway. If you're going to sell any of the manips, I would sell the whole set (to have the highest value) and then just buy the one or two things you really find yourself missing. If you like playing the card games, then keep the book and the cards obviously. If you have the hardwood fractions puzzle, that stands on its own and will be valuable for many more years (through about 6th gr math).

Have you looked at how they're selling the manips now? It's totally different from what we (or at least I) started.

Main thing is don't let your emotion get in the way of selling. I CRIED when I sold my RS A and B. Didn't cry over C, haha, but definitely cried over A and B. So you might be having something similar with your manips. I never did sell mine. I doubt manips have as a good a resale value. Is there any possibility you'll tutor or use the in some other way later?

I've got a younger child so I've held on to my RS stuff, but the manipulatives I've continued using with Singapore are the abacus, base 10 cards, place value cards, card games set, drawing set, and the fraction tiles (I actually don't have the RS version of those).

I just sold it all (except the drawing board and the few things you need for RS Geometry, which turned out to be a bust for us anyway) when I was done with it and haven't had any regrets. I had a hard time parting with it, but I feel that way about a lot of my books and school-related items. Still, unless I'm using them, they've got to go because I already have more overflowing bookshelves than I should.