Menu

Now, we're at a 1:3 chance of getting to Naples, Italy...

LisaKinVA

Husband has his interview on Wednesday at 0800. This is not the first time we've been through this...he knows the lead person who is interviewing him for the job (he even remembered conversations they've had). We're using our "hopeful energy" as motivation to be much more rigorous in our cleaning out efforts (knowing we could have to leave in about 10 weeks, if he gets the job).

So...today, we have nearly gotten the basement back to where it was when we moved in (the children have been dumping stuff out of boxes...it was awful...it's still a mess, but at least it's contained!!).

I know many people here have moved internationally...so if you have any tips for what to leave and what to take...that would be helpful in getting us in the correct mindset to just get rid of it all (well...not all...just a LOT).

Take American measuring cups. I remember the one time I was cooking in my MIL's kitchen and had to fiddle around with a mL measuring cup. Then, when I had figured that one out I had to pull out the scale to measure grams. No, just no. I know it's more accurate, but it was just dinner.

As far as personal items and clothing, just buy them there. Take your blue jeans though, they can be pricey (and the European style jeans can be....not my cup of tea). Everyone will know you're American anyways, so you may as well let them admire your Levi's.

Books, though, take books. Big cities will have English-language bookstores, but the selection may be quite different from what you're used to.

We moved from Ireland to Australia, and took a container full. Your electrical appliances won't work in Europe, so leave them. You should see how much it costs for a container verses replacing everything. It also depends on if it's a forever move, or would you have somewhere to leave your things in US?

Not a forever move...just a 3-5 year duty, then back to Virginia we would go. We have already eliminated most of our small, kitchen appliances (wasn't even considering the large ones, or dh's large power tools). We're thinking about purchasing some inexpensive "flat-packed" furniture to ship over (cubbies, book shelves, armoires/utility closets). I'd leave my china, crystal & silver. We'd take the beds/bedding, every day dishes, pots & pans, bake ware... leave the giant entertainment unit, and probably our huge couch/lounge & chair...honestly, as far as furniture goes, most of what we have here isn't worth taking. I think we'd take the futon and the rocking chair, our 2 tables w/ chairs, and one bedroom set. Sauder just doesn't move well ;) We'd also be leaving most of our electronics (old televisions, etc.), but we'd take the laptops...because they convert easily.

I'm so happy to see BOOKS on the list of "must haves." There will be boxes FULL of books :D

I'm planning on leaving my china, crystal & silver, some paperwork and dh's and my keepsakes. Not enough to fill the smallest storage unit (hopefully, my parents will allow us to leave it with them :D I'm trying to get rid of about 1/2 our puzzles and games, about 1/2 of the toys/stuffed animals, and most of the kids' hand-me-downs I'd sell. I'd take just the next sizes up (unless my mom has room for those things, too...just not worth paying to store kids' clothes & shoes!). I have to find out what winters in Naples are like....it may be possible to simply eliminate most of the winter clothes...and just have a few sweaters or a good jacket :D If that's the case, I could probably keep most of our hand-me downs...lol

More to think about, anyhow. Trying to use the next couple of weeks as real motivation to get our junk down to what we really need/want...because once we find out we're staying we will have a lot less motivation to get rid of anything....and honestly, my dh is a bit of a pack rat (for example, he "cleaned out" his electronics stuff...eliminated 2 whole boxes...he still has 4 TUBS full...and don't even get me started on the CDs, DVDs, VCR tapes, and audio tapes!!).

We actually sold most of our books and buy everything on kindle now. But our shipping allowance was quite small. If you can afford to send a lot of stuff then go for it! Definitely bring good cookware and bakeware and Tupperware. That stuff is hard to find and expensive overseas.

We also stock up on socks and undergarments in the U.S.

I was going to say take the jeans also (all our family from Europe always asks for those) and underwear (esp. for you, expensive there). And if you have room take your books because the shops there were expensive (English bookstores).

Also check about downloading books, some sites might not let you unless you are in the USA (your server IP address). So either download before or see about setting up your home network there to look like you are in the USA (your DH might know how). Some just want a cc with a US address, so try to keep one with in laws or the like (you can just switch to paperless stmnts).

I miss Italy...try to go to Amalfi/Capri while there ... I loved Augustus Gardens.

I was going to say take the jeans also (all our family from Europe always asks for those) and underwear (esp. for you, expensive there). And if you have room take your books because the shops there were expensive (English bookstores).

Also check about downloading books, some sites might not let you unless you are in the USA (your server IP address). So either download before or see about setting up your home network there to look like you are in the USA (your DH might know how). Some just want a cc with a US address, so try to keep one with in laws or the like (you can just switch to paperless stmnts).

I miss Italy...try to go to Amalfi/Capri while there ... I loved Augustus Gardens.

Okay...taking jeans & underwear!! My dh is pretty handy with tech stuff... and we can use my parent's address for a CC'd that we put aside for things like that (my parents might also buy and ship them in flat-rate boxes)

Most of our trips will be by car and Amalfi/Capri will not be missed (I promise...assuming we get there). T-3 days to interview... and about 2 weeks until notification... and then ??? for orders to get cut. Once orders are cut...life spins completely out of control...no-fee passports, regular passports, medical, visas...shipments...getting rid of stuff...and figuring out what we're going to do with our HOUSE!

Would you living in military housing? Because in that case, some of your appliances will work and others will not. They have American style plugs, but the cycles are still different so anyhing with a heating element or timer doesnt work quote rights. Many things-clocks, converters, irons, etc you can find at the American thrift shops on post because people just donate them when they move.

Also, if you are moving with DoD, then you should receive an APO address, which is an American address.

What kind of car do you drive? If you drive something big, then you might consider downsizing. Getting down streets in Italy with a big American vehicle would be a challenge, to put it mildly.

Most of our trips will be by car and Amalfi/Capri will not be missed (I promise...assuming we get there).

The drive on the Amalfi coast is breath taking ---literally. It is not for the inexperienced driver. I have taken some of the drives in CO going up some of the peaks and this one in Amalfi was 1000x more dizzying. I think because it is straight down to ocean. In CO you at least see ground or tree tops LOL.

I wish I could remember the name, but we stopped at one spot in a small town along the way and had lunch. The balcony for the place was almost hanging over the cliff. Talk about lunch with a view. It was a small hole in the wall place. You ordered, took your tray and walked across the road to the balcony. I don't know if the food was as awesome as I remember or if it was just seasoned with amazing scenery.

Taking the train to venice is also a blast! And you don't need a car in Venice LOL!

And of course Florence. Last time I was there, we landed in Rome, train to Venice with a stop in Florence for an overnight. (we only had 10 days)

Oh and eat gelato for breakfast at least once....

I LOVE NAPLES! Love it! I haven't lived there, but have friends who do. It is a crazy wild place. Seriously, the traffic is insane, there are scooters and tiny cars everywhere and they don't seem to respect the once way street, but it is so much fun. There is a ton of stuff to see and do. Pompeii is just short train trip away (20 minutes) and Rome is about an hour away.

Would you living in military housing? Because in that case, some of your appliances will work and others will not. They have American style plugs, but the cycles are still different so anyhing with a heating element or timer doesnt work quote rights. Many things-clocks, converters, irons, etc you can find at the American thrift shops on post because people just donate them when they move.

Also, if you are moving with DoD, then you should receive an APO address, which is an American address.

What kind of car do you drive? If you drive something big, then you might consider downsizing. Getting down streets in Italy with a big American vehicle would be a challenge, to put it mildly.

I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed in military housing, and will be living "on the economy." I know there are some "Americanized" areas, but we were hoping to have a more "authentic" experience. However, where we ultimately live will be decided by other factors (proximity to the Support Site/Schools/Activities, air quality, parking and living space...oh, and where we are "allowed" to rent!).

We would be taking our Mercury Villager (a small mini-van, built on the Nissan Maxima car frame). It's a nearly 12-year old beater, but still runs well (despite being hit TWICE on Friday...UGH). We will get another used car for dh there (to-from base), and if necessary, replace this mini-van with something else...that we can hopefully bring back home!! We'll bring extra air-filters, oil-filters, and spark plugs with us... we have a family of 7...so hopefully, we'll be able to make something work!

What an adventure! I think there are expat forums, and I'd hit them up for advice. That's where I'd ask for advice about the car. I'm not sure I would pay to ship a 12 year old minivan across the Atlantic, or if it can be sold there, but I don't know if you'll easily find a replacement. And while driving might be a chore, parking might be even worse. I was constantly amazed at the ability Europeans have to park their cars into the tightest of spaces.

We will get another used car for dh there (to-from base), and if necessary, replace this mini-van with something else...that we can hopefully bring back home!!

Just make sure you buy something with American specs or you won't be able to bring it back to the states. Let us know what you find out, and I am sure those of us who have loved overseas can help some more. :)

What an adventure! I think there are expat forums, and I'd hit them up for advice. That's where I'd ask for advice about the car. I'm not sure I would pay to ship a 12 year old minivan across the Atlantic, or if it can be sold there, but I don't know if you'll easily find a replacement.

DoD often ships vehicles overseas, but it depends upon the job. A GS job is different than a contractor job. If it is contracting, then it depends upon what company you work for. It could be sold to an American (plenty of military in Italy-Naples, Vicenza, etc).

And while driving might be a chore, parking might be even worse. I was constantly amazed at the ability Europeans have to park their cars into the tightest of spaces.

When we first moved back to the states from Europe, I would have three feet of space on the passenger side when I parked because I was so used to parking as close as possible to the car in the next spot.

DoD often ships vehicles overseas, but it depends upon the job. A GS job is different than a contractor job. If it is contracting, then it depends upon what company you work for. It could be sold to an American (plenty of military in Italy-Naples, Vicenza, etc).

When we first moved back to the states from Europe, I would have three feet of space on the passenger side when I parked because I was so used to parking as close as possible to the car in the next spot.

We're DoD, get to take one car :D

I can barely imagine parking that close to another vehicle...let alone getting in and out. No wonder people talk about all of the "kisses" they get!

I also found some "Living Abroad in Naples" FB groups... quite enlightening!!

we've moved internationally a fair bit.

random thoughts

a) you couldn't pay me enough to drive a mini-van in italy. ever. you can't imagine how small everything is, and how crowded everything can be.

B) i wouldn't take furniture at all. most countries have the things that work in their spaces and layouts, and its cheaper and easier.

c) clothes yes. some books. kids toys.

d) we have a more authentic experience the less stuff we take with us.

hth,

ann