Menu

What teaching resource or SN books are on your reading list?

I have a couple books on my list, but would love to hear what everybody is reading these days!

Currently, I am reading Boosting Executive Skills in the Classroom, and Comprehension Connections. I am really enjoying Boosting Executive Skills, has some good points I hadn't come across in some of my other EF reading. Comprehension Connections looks like it has lots of helpful ideas as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Boosting-Executive-Skills-Classroom-Jossey-Bass/dp/1118141091/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371917998&sr=8-1&keywords=boosting+executive+skills+in+the+classroom+a+practical+guide+for+educators

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehension-Connections-Bridges-Strategic-Reading/dp/0325008876/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371918062&sr=8-1&keywords=comprehension+connections

I have been reading Cheryl Swope's new book ("Simply Classical") on classical education for special needs children from Memoria Press. It is outstanding. I took three pages of notes just on the first few chapters. My child only has half the special needs as her children, so I keep thinking, "Okay, if she can do this, so can I..." (That said, her sample schedule made me want to sit down and cry!)

I am still trying to figure out how to implement something she mentions -- using life skills for therapy, including it in school time. I have been doing that to a degree, but feel overwhelmed. DS is newly diagnosed, so hopefully over time it will get easier.

DS needs to walk on the treadmill, like she mentions in the book, for gait training. But - the thought of him listening to a book whlie walking makes me twitchy. Maybe in time...

She also mentions videos from The Teaching Company. That was such a welcome relieve to me, as I have been using them this year for 'down time' but feel like I am cheating or something.

I have also been reaiding "Home scholing the SN child" by Hensley, but it got laid aside for the Swope book.

Most of my reading lately has been on c.palsy and related issues. Nothing exciting, but helping me put the pieces together.

I have been meaning to add Liping Ma's book to my list, thanks for the reminder!

Simply Classical sounds excellent. Too bad MP's shipping to Canada is $35! Will have to see if I can get our local homeschool store to order some copies. Our PT has a special interest in kids with CP. Recently, I found out she is part of a research study involving those vibrating machines and there helpfulness with CP. I think there has been some other studies on them as well, maybe something to look at if you hadn't heard of that before. Good luck with the reading. It is a steep learning curve at first.

I was *just* looking at the Comprehension Connections book for my hyperlexic 6 year old.

I'm currently reading How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Aspergers.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Life-Skills-Autism-Aspergers/dp/1935274139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372209380&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+teach+life+skills+to+kids+with+autism+or+asperger%27s

It's excellent. It's informative and entertaining.

Thanks for starting the thread Jennifer!

I was *just* looking at the Comprehension Connections book for my hyperlexic 6 year old.

I'm currently reading How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Aspergers.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Life-Skills-Autism-Aspergers/dp/1935274139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372209380&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+teach+life+skills+to+kids+with+autism+or+asperger%27s

It's excellent. It's informative and entertaining.

Thanks for starting the thread Jennifer!

I really enjoyed that book as well. I found it very helpful.

I have had more time to read through Comprehension Connections and really like it. I will be putting it to good use this fall with ds.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Simply Classical book, How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism and Aspergers, and Smart But Scattered Teens. Not sure which one I will start first. Interesting how some of us chose the same books!

Not a review, or even a qualified critique...but, I bought "Smart But Scattered" because well, I'm smart, but scattered. I could never/would never use the approach in the book. It makes me want to scratch my eyes out. It seems to be written for people who are organized and think it's what disorganized (insert adhd/inattentive-type) people need. I think people like me need much more intuitive-type ideas. Just sayin'. But of course, I may be totally wrong as well.

It just so happens Simply Classical is next on my reading list. :)

Geo