Menu

PSAT study book- which guide to use??

Oh my gosh, there are sooo many study guides and "free" things and secret books and so forth. How do I choose which study guide to buy for my 11th grade daughter? can I get some recommendations?

thanks so much--I know I can always come here and my panic subsides!! thanks to all you wise ladies~

pam

Someone here recommended the McGraw-Hill guide to me and I really like the looks of it. I have been thinking i need to pick it up soon. Ill be watching this thread, but so far I do like the looks of MH best.

It was recommended in this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/455871-update-in-first-postphoto-id-and-psat-freak-out-and-whining/page__hl__+psat#entry4721526

Second the use of Princeton Review. Both my kids used it. My ds particularly liked the strategy approaches they suggested and the sort of "us-against-the-testmakers" attitude with a little humor sprinkled in. DD was NM commended and ds will be in the running for commended or semi-finalist. Both took the PSAT only once as juniors and didn't have any other outside prep.

I'm a fan of studying for the SAT as anything you do for the SAT will help with the PSAT. Google the Xiggi method on prep. We found that it made a bunch of sense. I prefer the official blue book put out by the College Board because those are going to be much more like the exam. We tried some of the other books, but they weren't as effective. My boys tried an online Kaplan course and it only told them test taking techniques.