Menu

We've made our plans for D.C.

kentuckymom

So, despite the mixed opinions, we finally went ahead and made hotel reservations for D.C. the first week of July. We arrive the evening of June 28th and leave the morning of July 6th. We have a good idea of our must see places, and I've contacted our rep to see if we can still get in on any tours his office arranges.

What I'm looking for is advice specifically regarding the 4th. What do you recommend doing with an 8 year and a 2 year old in tow during the day? Is the parade really good? Are the kids likely to get anything out of the Folklife Festival? Would it be really cool to visit Arlington Cemetary on the 4th, or will it be insanely crowded?

FYI, our hotel is in the Arlington area and we're planning to watch the fireworks from a park on that side of the Potomac. DH found a site listing different fireworks watching sites and decided that one would work best for our family.

We're also tentatively planning to go on a bike tour. Has anyone been on one of those? Are they cool or a waste of money? We love cycling as a family, and DH and DS aren't that into tours as a general rule, so I thought a bike tour might be a way to make everyone happy.

I don't have much to offer, except to say that I love D.C.! We lived there for a couple years back in the 80's. Honestly, with an 8 year old and a 2 year old, I think I'd stay away from the huge crowds. I'd rather have a nice picnic somewhere that's meaningful but not the main attraction on the 4th. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

There are lots of places where you can rent bikes if you don't want to bring them or if you want to do your own tour. Capital Bikeshare is one. I haven't tried them myself, although I see people riding them fairly often. There are lots of places to pick them up in Arlington.

I think it really depends on how your kids handle hot & humid, very crowded situations. It might be kind of neat for you to go down to the mall during the day for the festival. It really is something just to see all the people! I went down several times to see the fireworks as a child and it is something that I will never forget! They'll probably be better than you, honestly! :)

Just on a side note, if you can get up and out on the 5th, that is a less crowded opportunity to visit some of the more popular tourist sights. If you go first thing, parking isn't a problem pretty much anywhere you want!

We live just outside the city, so please feel free to ask me or pm me if you have any questions!

Sarah