Menu

Low Cost IQ Testing

We just received dd's EXPLORE test results and would like to submit an application to Davidson. All the testing options I've turned up will cost around $1200-$1500. Is this typical? I was hoping to find a grad student who is able to administer it for less, but I don't know where to look. Help!

http://www.calu.edu/academics/graduate-programs/school-psychology/current-student-resources/clinic/index.htm

This is the school psychology clinic that we used. If you don't live anywhere near there (for us it was cheaper to make it a mini-vacation than to go elsewhere), call around to any universities in your area that offer a masters program in school psychology and see if they have clinic hours. Often they do, but are not well advertised.

In our case we just got basic testing numbers, but it was enough to make decisions with.

If her EXPLORE results meet the requirements, you don't need to IQ scores to apply. You'd just need a portfolio: http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

She'd be more likely to get in with qualifying IQ scores as well, but if more testing is out of your budget, I'd try with a portfolio first.

Mensa gives one of the standard IQ tests. I think the cost is around $25.

I know until recently the only results they were able to give was an invitation to join. This was because of a lawsuit saying the proctors weren't psychologists so the test results weren't accurate. Really, it was that Mensa was cutting into a high-profit business for them. But, Mensa won the lawsuit and can give the numbers.

I don't know if the test Mensa gives is one that is accepted by Davidson, but for $25 it is worth a look.

You need an achievement test OR an IQ test. Having both will make it easier to get accepted, but only one is required.

FWIW, when I gave my DD an out-of-level CogAT at home, the results were similar enough to the formal IQ test she'd taken to serve as a decent proxy for a gifted kid without any "twice exceptional" issues. The CogAT scores can be included in the DYS portfolio even if they're not on the list of official qualifying tests.

You need an achievement test OR an IQ test. Having both will make it easier to get accepted, but only one is required.

You need 2 of 3: IQ, Achievement test, portfolio. From here.

If you have scores from IQ and Achievement, you're in (unless LOR were to tank it). Portfolio has to be reviewed. From the Davidson boards here, it sounds like they don't reject, but they will say we need more information, or you can reapply later if the portfolio isn't what they're looking for and you only have one of the achievement or IQ tests.

Thanks so much for your responses. I saw the option of the portfolio, but felt really insecure about what to include. The option of including another out of level exam result sounds great. She did get accepted to CTY years ago. I know that isn't enough on its own, but maybe it would help as part of the portfolio. I thought that kids without the two scores weren't being accepted, but maybe it's worth a shot. It's just my insecurity about what to include. I'll try calling our state university tomorrow to see if I can get her tested through them. Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

The DITD boards may also have folks who can suggest local testing options-there's a lot of useful information on the application process.

On the portfolio, my suggestion is to look at what your child does on her own, vs schoolwork. I found my best source was the stuff I'd found interesting enough to share on Facebook with grandparents ;)

If you have scores from IQ and Achievement, you're in (unless LOR were to tank it). Portfolio has to be reviewed. From the Davidson boards here, it sounds like they don't reject, but they will say we need more information, or you can reapply later if the portfolio isn't what they're looking for and you only have one of the achievement or IQ tests.

I know folks who initially submitted just IQ and achievement test scores without a portfolio and were asked to send more information even though the test scores were plenty high enough. I would submit a portfolio regardless of whether you have both IQ and achievement test scores or just one of those.

Interesting. Must depend on when they're doing the review...or if there were LoR issues...

Son's scores were just over border and IQ and achievement were enough....

Were you full-time homeschoolers or just "afterschooling"? I get the impression that homeschoolers face additional scrutiny because they don't have a classroom teacher to vouch for their child being more than just garden-variety gifted.

Full time homeschoolers. Son only did private half day kindergarten.

He got in in 4th grade.

What I've read on the public boards also seem to indicate that they'll ask if they want more info, but I didn't read on the boards about anyone being asked for more info with qualifying test scores. Portfolios seemed to lead to more questions than tests.