Menu

ISO recommendations for a new printer...

tammyw

After quite a lot of use, ours is dying on us. It was a Brother and has been pretty good to us.

What do we need? Ours was just a laser printer, but I'm wondering if we want something with more functionality (eg copier?)

Help! I want something of good quality that won't be a pain to use. TIA!

I've been looking at this Brother (http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW-Compact-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00450DVDY/). What I'd really like is a color one, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. This one seems highly rated on Amazon, is wireless, and has a duplexer which should help me save paper. Oh, and the toner doesn't seem too terribly expensive.

I've been looking at this Brother (http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00450DVDY/). What I'd really like is a color one, but I don't want to spend that kind of money. This one seems highly rated on Amazon, is wireless, and has a duplexer which should help me save paper. Oh, and the toner doesn't seem too terribly expensive.

I bought this exact one a few days ago (when our ink-hogging printer/scanner/copier finally gave up the ghost), and I LOVE IT so far. I know I will miss the scan/copy/color options we had on our other one, but for cost-effective, efficient everyday printing this is awesome. We just need to get a scanner one of these days, and then go elsewhere for color printing when we need to do it, which isn't often - it's not worth the extra cost of having a color printer for very occasional use. I feel sick when I think about how much money we spent on ink for that other printer. Ugh.

If you decide you want this printer, snag it now - the price on Amazon has been as high as $119 recently, and last week it dropped from $99 to the current price of $84.99, which is the lowest I've seen it in a long time - I had it my Amazon wish list for months, checking on the price and waiting for a good enough reason to justify buying it - LOL! I know it was down to around $75 a few months ago (when I first heard the rave reviews about it here on the forum) but maybe that was a fluke or something. I wouldn't hold out for that price at this point. HTH!

I will never get anything other than a Brother (I spent 3 summers between high school working at a computer repair shop, the worst printers were canon and epson as far as repairs, the best were HP and brother). I have a wireless inkjet with scanner/copier (can not live without those). The replacement ink is CHEAP and I have had no problems using the generic ink from amazon (for years).

I calculated cost based on the last bunch of ink/paper I got and it come out to about .03 per page (b&w or color, didn't really matter, since the ink was so cheap). I print MM (and other workbooks, like Scholastic downloads) full color.

We just got an HP 8600. Love it so far. I looked at the Brother laser printer from Amazon because it is always recommended but I need a color printer. Comparing what was out there, this one was one of the better ones for page/ink yields listed.

We went to this from an old Kodak printer. I am LOVING the wireless duplex!!

Absolutely DO NOT get, under any circumstances, an HP B209a.

That thing is worthless. It works great - for the first two months. Then you have to delete and reinstall all the drivers about 1x/month forevermore.

Just look at the reviews on amazon now.

Don't do it.

Not ever.

Other HP printer/copiers we've had have worked perfectly. Just not that one.

I bought this exact one a few days ago (when our ink-hogging printer/scanner/copier finally gave up the ghost), and I LOVE IT so far. I know I will miss the scan/copy/color options we had on our other one, but for cost-effective, efficient everyday printing this is awesome. We just need to get a scanner one of these days, and then go elsewhere for color printing when we need to do it, which isn't often - it's not worth the extra cost of having a color printer for very occasional use. I feel sick when I think about how much money we spent on ink for that other printer. Ugh.

If you decide you want this printer, snag it now - the price on Amazon has been as high as $119 recently, and last week it dropped from $99 to the current price of $84.99, which is the lowest I've seen it in a long time - I had it my Amazon wish list for months, checking on the price and waiting for a good enough reason to justify buying it - LOL! I know it was down to around $75 a few months ago (when I first heard the rave reviews about it here on the forum) but maybe that was a fluke or something. I wouldn't hold out for that price at this point. HTH!

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this. I have a different Brother laserjet, but it's terrible when it comes to printing images of any kind (especially maps in ebooks like HO or any of the BW stuff) - being a monochrome, how does this one handle these sorts of things?

We have a 2-sided wireless color inkjet EPSON that I adore. It was only $200 from office max and it saves SOOOO much paper being able to print the kids school stuff double-sided....and it prints and scans 11x17 :)

Does it auto feed the paper back thru for the double sided pages?

I replaced my Brother Laser with an HP Officejet 7580 many years ago (and have the duplexer on there). I needed the drum for the Brother ($$), and this printed just as cheap, had a network scanner, and was color. SOLD!

i've only run HP ink in it to date - they get a crazy yield on them (I figure I get at least 3000 pages on my black cartridge using draft), but I did buy some highly rated color generics to run in it next.... I figured the yellow was hours from running out. HA, that was many prints ago and the darn thing is still going!

When i was ready to replace, I went to Consumer Reports and looked at the cheapest printers to print on - this one was just as cheap as the lasers yet did all the other stuff I wanted. I would start there again if I had to replace it. That said, as much as I like lasers, i'd have to go with something with color again. We use it enough around here and haven't had any problems if we go awhile and don't. So i'd probably start my search in the OfficeJet aisle again.

The only thing I hate about it? It doesn't do the HP ePrint and I can't print from my iPad directly (I have an older version of the HP app and can from that in a pinch, but it isn't the same as in-app printing).

We have a 2-sided wireless color inkjet EPSON that I adore. It was only $200 from office max and it saves SOOOO much paper being able to print the kids school stuff double-sided....and it prints and scans 11x17 :)

I am a sucker for 11x17 printing though.... I could be swayed this way! :p

ETA: although, my parents Epson printer drives me NUTS and I'm not overly impressed with her ink usage.

I have a Canon pixma that's held up pretty well for these past two years. I will always "need" a copier-scanner-printer thingy now :) My next one, though, will be wireless and that duplexing sounds super cool convenient! You'd probably have to buy good paper, though? The cheap paper we buy is horrible when printed on both sides! So, you need a printer that copies, scans, prints on both sides, and is wireless! :lol: