Menu

8 year-old Struggling Reader Advice

My son just turned 8 and finished 2nd grade. We are starting to home-school next month. Previously he was in a Montessori school and for the last 2 years, his spelling work was Orton-Gillingham based (teacher is O-G trained.) Throughout first and second grade his teacher has observed that he often seems unsure of what he is supposed to do after being given directions (not goofing off, just confused). In February she told us he needed extra support in reading and spelling (she tutored him 5 or 6 times in the spring). She also has said many times that he tries very hard. This is part of the reason I’m starting to feel very concerned: he’s been really working at it and is still having a hard time getting it.

He began speaking at a very early age. He loves to listen to books and has good comprehension. However, reading has been a real struggle for him. We just had a Lindamood-Bell Assessment done and it showed real disparities between vocabulary, reasoning and comprehension where he was strong and many other measures including reading accuracy and visualization of words where he was much weaker (these measures were 60 -93 percentiles lower than his strong scores) . He guesses at multiple syllable words and seems to rely on context to pass the comprehension questions. They said he applies the phonetic rules correctly to single syllable words but has a very hard time with multi-syllable words. They said he needs explicit instruction in syllabication, but seems to have good phonemic awareness. When explicitly tested on phonics rules he knew most simple sounds including ch, sh, oa with spotty knowledge of ou, au etc. They don’t think he has any underlying visual processing issues but that he needs to learn to use that ability to help him with the orthographic portion of reading. They recommend their Seeing Stars program to help strengthen the visualization of words (4 hours a day, 5 days a week for a month=$8500).

He has not made the fluency gains (he has speed but not accuracy) to get to the point where reading is fun, so that he does it more, so that it gets easier, so it’s even more fun. As an avid reader, I want this for him so much and I don’t know how to help him. It seems like there are several different categories of approach:

O-G methods: Spalding WRTR, Spell to Write and Read, Logic of English Foundations Level, Barton, Wilson, Reading Reflex/Phonographix

Fluency Focus: Read Right, Read Naturally, Lots of book time

My gut instinct is to do a little of everything and have him read along with audio recordings, review phonics with a program like Reading Reflex that’s less intense than Barton, and then just continue to provide lots of opportunities to read and listen to books. I would also try to figure out what they do at Lindamood-Bell and try to duplicate what I could to improve visualization.

Tonight I also read another post that referenced dyseidetic dyslexia. I’ve never heard of it but it is characterized by an inability to remember how words look. No one has ever told me my son is dyslexic. Now I am wondering if I've missed something. The poster said it’s a type of dyslexia that might not be helped by phonics-based programs because the problem is visual.

Any advice on how I should help him?

Well, I taught my first two to read with Reading Reflex. It doesn't sound like what you need. However, compared to the other choices, it is relatively cheap and has some great chapters on how reading is learned.

I have used Barton for my next two it does have very explicit instruction on both phonemic awareness and syllabication. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I think it serves a wide variety of needs. Barton is very easy to teach and it has a high resale value. If you are considering Barton, I'd recommend calling up Susan Barton and talking to her about your son.

My daughter has liked the low level-high interest books from high noon books. They have been great at improving her fluency.

Visualization is part of visual processing, at least from a therapy standpoint. Before I spent $8500 on LMB, I'd spend $250 and get his eyes checked by a good developmental optometrist. Also, the issue with multi-syllable words can reflect (as in mirror) issues with working memory. Did they do digit spans and working memory tests with him?

To find a good developmental optometrist, go to COVD. I'd also be wanting a proper psych eval, as you say, to look for the underlying causes and see what's going on. That takes longer to get into, and the COVD doc may be able to suggest to you a good one. Should take you just a couple weeks to get into the dev. optometrist, and that way you can make sure there aren't actually vision problems going on. During VT they can bring in working memory. Lots of kids have issues with working memory. My dd stumbled over multiple syllable words in the same way she stumbled over digit spans. It's very, very easy to check (google for instructions) and work on at home yourself. On amazon there's Auditory Sequential Memory Instructional Workbook and you can do the digit spans (which increase in difficulty) while you use a metronome app set to 54 bpm. Clap, do bilateral motions (tapping opposite legs), that sort of thing, replicating the types of things they do in Interactive Metronome. Costs you just the book ($17?) if you have a device you can put apps on or an actual metronome. Do that 20 minutes a day, get his eyes checked.

As far as the curriculum, well I'd back up and do a learning styles inventory first. Did LMB do one? There are some free ones online, or Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has a deal on one sometimes. If he's kinesthetic, you obviously are going to want to bring that element in. Just as a suggestion, go to the library, get Reading Reflex, WRTR, whatever they have that you can get on interlibrary loan, and use them for a while. It will buy you some time while you do the eye check, test his digit spans, etc. If the issue was vision, I wouldn't fiddle with an expensive program till after he has a couple months of therapy under his belt. If there's no vision problem, then go straight to Barton. If there was a vision problem, I'd do a couple months of therapy and then go into AAS. It's open and go, easy to use, with plenty of review built in for the average student. It's what I used with my dd after VT. We had done years of SWR, but after VT it was like her brain started seeing everything all over again. We went through AAS, and it was delightful. So it just depends on the situation as to the best choice, kwim?

Many ADHD and right-brain kids turn out to be VSL (visual spatial learners). You can get weird situations where a dc has vision problems that result in them NOT developing their visual processing fully. When those kids get their vision worked on, it turns out they're VSL. THEN visualization will be a fabulous, fabulous tool for them, absolutely. But to jump in and work on visualization without backing up and getting a proper vision exam by a dev. optometrist, that's out of order in my book. But whatever, do as you wish. I'm just giving you some less expensive precursor steps to some seriously pricey therapy they're suggesting. Even a full pysch/neuropsych eval ($1500 in our area) would be less than the LMB they're recommending to you, and at that point you'd have more complete information on processing speed, dyslexia, working memory, whatever else is going on. The ps can also do that testing for free and is mandated to by law. And the fact is you can buy the LMB materials and do them yourself (if you don't have issues with compliance or consistency). And the fact is that some kids who get their eyes checked and get proper VT probably aren't going to need that.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat, and the most expensive therapy isn't always the best. The best thing is doing enough evals to figure out what's actually going on. You don't want to just start slapping money at things, because you can end up drained and still not there. Not meaning to be morbid, and I have NOTHING against LMB, nothing at all. I'm just saying I would get his eyes checked first. COVD is where you find a dev. optometrist. Make sure you take your time and get recommendations to know you have a good one.

He guesses at multiple syllable words and seems to rely on context to pass the comprehension questions. They said he applies the phonetic rules correctly to single syllable words but has a very hard time with multi-syllable words. They said he needs explicit instruction in syllabication, but seems to have good phonemic awareness. When explicitly tested on phonics rules he knew most simple sounds including ch, sh, oa with spotty knowledge of ou, au etc. They don’t think he has any underlying visual processing issues but that he needs to learn to use that ability to help him with the orthographic portion of reading. They recommend their Seeing Stars program to help strengthen the visualization of words (4 hours a day, 5 days a week for a month=$8500).

I'd want to rule out developmental vision issues with a covd optometrist rather than go through Linda-Mood Bell at this time.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look at the working memory support I could start providing right away.

Is there any screening or testing for visual issues that I could do at home? Is there any piece of the vision therapy I could do myself and see if it helps?

We live on an island which according to the COVD Website, does not have a developmental optometrist, but there is one who visits every year around January. I spoke to her when he was in 1st. At that point his teacher didn't think he needed it and the Dr. who knew the teacher said to defer to her because she was really good at recognizing issues. It wasn't until this Feb. of 2nd grade year that his teacher said he needed extra support. My kid is desperate to appear competent so I think he did a great job bluffing early on. There is also one COVD on a neighbor island. There may also be COVDs who come see patients but just don't have an office. I will start making calls tomorrow.

Also, I've never considered ADHD, because he's great at concentrating, will focus for hours, has never had any behavioral issues (except falling apart for me after holding it together at school all day). But is working memory a piece of ADD or ADHD or is it something different?

I will also do the learning type screening for both of my boys (of course the, easy-going 6-year-old who taught himself to read at 3 has obviously gotten about 2% of my homeschooling planning attention)

I really appreciate your help

You can try my syllable division rules and exercises, linked at the bottom of my how to tutor page. Webster's Speller is also good for multi-syllable words.

http://www.thephonic...howtotutor.html

Other good multi syllable word resources are Marcia Henry's Words and MegaWords, start with megawords book 1, Henry's book is all in one.

ETA: The samples in Words are from the beginning, it moves into 2 - 5 syllable words after a review of the basics, with a focus on syllable division.

Hmm, interesting situation! Well January is 6 months away. What are your options before then? Can you go to another island that has a good dev. optometrist, get him checked, and get started on some homework? Then you'd know what he's starting with, if there's anything going on, if he needs glasses, where to focus your efforts, etc. The dev. optom. might also catch some things that aren't on your radar now, like issues with bilaterality or retained primitive reflexes.

ADHD and dyslexia used to be lumped together under one label (minimal brain dysfunction), and they overlap quite a bit. So yes, any time you talk about the one, you're considering the other as well. (Kids can end up with one label or the other or both.) I'm not a psych, so I'm not up on all the brain things, like what resides where. You have an "executive function" portion of the brain that is typically delayed a bit in adhd. Working memory is in there, but I'm not sure if you can have poor working memory and overall have normal EF, don't know. Kids with adhd *can* focus; they just may focus inappropriately. ;) If they're ENGAGED they can have quite good focus. And when they are engaged, they're usually working a lot HARDER to maintain that focus, which is why they might come home and wig out after school. My ds4 can sit and engage with me doing a Bible story flannelgraph for 40 minutes. Afterwards he blows his top and starts running around like a crazy thing, shooting pretend guns, being a warrior, whatever. So he's plenty able to focus; he's just working REALLY HARD to do so.

If you google EF, you can get all kinds of info on it. Don't know if you have library access where you are or want to try ebooks, but there will be plenty available on the topic. (Smart but Scattered, No Mind Left Behind, etc.)

Btw, if you google or try Hoagies Gifted, I think you'll find charts showing that the "symptoms" of giftedness and adhd are almost identical. ;)

Like I said, I'm no psych. I'd just want an actual eye exam before I plunked down $8500 for what is in essence a portion of VT without actually checking to confirm what's going on with his eyes. The psych eval is what will help you sort through the rest. Don't know how far you have to go to get that, but it's time to start looking. Took me a year to find one I liked and feel confident I was going the right direction. Start looking now, and by the time you find one and get the appointment set up and can actually get in, you'll probably be glad for it. Btw, your comment about him being confused in class with directions and things caught my eye. There can be different explanations for that, obviously. Since you mentioned adhd, yes that could reflect inattention. It can also indicate an auditory processing disorder (CAPD). That's why I was saying I wouldn't just latch onto one expensive therapy and think it solves everything, because you've got separate threads here. The lack of visualization doesn't explain his confusion in class. Either he's drifting out or not comprehending or... And you know when you head out to get that eye exam, you could get his hearing screened (in a booth, runs around $300 in our area). There are some lists online contrasting symptoms of ADHD and CAPD, if you'd like to google search and compare. I'm not saying he has CAPD, just saying that your comment caught my eye and isn't explained by the visualization issue. Take your time, read, maybe get some more evals before you go plunking out all your money for one thing.

I don't mean to dismiss the thoughtful and knowledgeable advice from other posters, but I'd be careful about too many evaluations. Kids can begin to feel that something must be very wrong with them, when they may just need time. 8 isn't terribly old to still be struggling with reading.

. "He guesses at multiple syllable words and seems to rely on context to pass the comprehension questions. They said he applies the phonetic rules correctly to single syllable words but has a very hard time with multi-syllable words. They said he needs explicit instruction in syllabication, but seems to have good phonemic awareness. When explicitly tested on phonics rules he knew most simple sounds including ch, sh, oa with spotty knowledge of ou, au etc. "

I don't think any of that sounds too alarming. I don't think it's necessarily indicative of a major problem to have a hard time with multi-syllable words or with the trickier phonemes like ou, au, ough, . It could very well mean that he needs a lot more practice and review. Some kids learn to read very quickly and become normal, capable readers. Some kids learn very slowly and become normal, capable readers.

I would focus on keeping it positive, joyful, and encouraging. That can be hard when one is worried about her child, but I think it's so important to keep reading from becoming a stressful chore.

Do you feel that he is making any progress? What kinds of books can he comfortably read? What is an example of something that discouraged him? Does he hate it?

It sounds to me like he is indeed a reader; he just isn't yet reading fluently.

Also, keep in mind that he has been working in a classroom setting. You may discover in the fall that the supportive, right-at-his-level homeschool setting is just what he needs.

I don't mean to dismiss the thoughtful and knowledgeable advice from other posters, but I'd be careful about too many evaluations. Kids can begin to feel that something must be very wrong with them, when they may just need time.

That's an interesting point. On the flip side, kids who actually DO have issues usually have already figured it out and are relieved to get it out in the open.

That's an interesting point. On the flip side, kids who actually DO have issues usually have already figured it out and are relieved to get it out in the open.

I find this point interesting too -- that the child may feel great relief at finally having it all 'out there.' That certainly could be the case.

It's hard to say, when we haven't worked with the child.

As to evaluate or not - I think "mom instincts" are usually correct. If your gut says you need to work with him at home, then do it. Evaluations can be very helpful, but figure out why you are doing the evaluation and consider the impact on him. For evaluations, I essentially told my kids that they were being evaluated to help ME understand better how they thought so that I could be a better teacher to them.

Thank you all for the thoughtful input. For some reason I couldn't find my own post to respond...

All of these responses are making me realize that maybe I'm not putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. The CAPD is an interesting point because he was extremely sensitive to noise, bright light and chaotic situations when he was younger. He's matured and regulates his behavior (used to get really upset), now he covers his ears if necessary, and will endure a lot, particularly if he's with peers (wants to fit in). Also, he seems less sensitive to these things every year.

I have wondered about CAPD before. An informal screening showed visual and auditory sensory issues when he was younger, but I've never done any official evaluations. He would seemingly "shut down" when overwhelmed and then also "throw a fit" after having too much input. I guess I wanted to avoid any labels and just focus on things that would help. Most of the things that were supposed to help: consistent boundaries, good nutrition, tons of heavy work, consistent sleep and down time, etc. all seemed like things I would provide my child anyway, so I never sought a diagnosis. And in my heart of hearts, I just want him to be "normal" because that sounds like an easier path. So my reading list over the years has included periods of focus on selective mutism, sensory processing disorders and now reading problems. Maybe all of these "problems" are all coming from the same root and I've just never found the right issue.

Part of me thinks giving him time hasn't been a bad strategy because he has really blossomed. He will make eye contact with and greet adults (his teacher the last two years made every kid do this and shake hand every morning and he is now able to without it being a struggle), he is well-liked by his peers, well-behaved, hard-working and 90% of the time handles overwhelming stimulus or emotion appropriately. He is better at knowing his own limits. For example, he will tell me when we get overscheduled "mom, for me 4 things is just too many in one day." Every year he gets a little better at these things. However, I obviously don't want to miss an intervention I should do.

I sent the test results to a friend on the mainland who is OG and LMB trained and she agreed she thinks there is an auditory piece there, too. She thought that because his receptive vocab.was high but his expressive vocab. was low and his following directions score was low we should address the auditory component as well. She felt Seeing Stars would address both auditory and visual so even if we don't know what the role each piece is playing I should buy the Seeing Stars kit ($500) and do it myself, and also use Barton or Wilson and add a fluency program. Frankly, I'm pretty sure he's never had any explicit instruction in how to read syllables so that may help a lot.

She thought going to a COVD was a good idea because she's had students who seem to be really helped by it. Any at home screening ideas for this island-bound mom? Tickets for just me and my DS to see developmental optometrist are $300 and then I'm not sure how we would do ongoing therapy. I also realize he's never even had a real hearing or vision exam (just the pediatrician and Lion's Club at school). That might be a good first step as well.

I told him that the LMB assesment was just for curriculum placement because we were going to homeschooling so I'm hoping and I will do basic vision and hearing on his younger brother at the same time, so hopefully none of these evaluations will stand out. Who would assess him for processing issues?

So thank you for raising the other issues. I'm so far in the forest sometimes I don't see the trees.

I will do basic vision and hearing on his younger brother at the same time, so hopefully none of these evaluations will stand out. Who would assess him for processing issues?

So thank you for raising the other issues. I'm so far in the forest sometimes I don't see the trees.

Have you thought about a full psych/neuropsychological eval? It sounds like that would help you immensely. I hear you on not liking labels, but in a couple years he's going to realize he's different, whether he's had more evals or not.

When you pursue the hearing, make sure you ask if they can do the screening for CAPD and then where they would be referring you to if they think he needs the full CAPD eval.