Menu

FFL for an older student?

journey00

I'm finding that my uprising 3rd & 4th are weak in their writing & grammar. I have looked at samples of FFL level 1 & 2 & really like the format. Has anyone tried an older student with FFL 1 & 2?

Thanks.

:lurk5:

I have uprising 3rd & 4th in the same boat. I bought FLL 1 & 2 to go over with them this summer. I will be eagerly watching this thread!!

Pam

I haven't done it, but I don't think it would take much time for a 3rd & 4th grader to get through both levels. The only problem I can forsee is that FLL 1 &2 has no real writing, just mostly copywork. I think most people would advise you to begin both of your students in FLL 3 since it assumes no prior grammar/reviews what was in FLL 1 & 2. HTHS!

Yes, I did FFL1 with both my older kids at once, who were in 3rd and K at the time. My then three-year-old also participated in the oral parts (a toddler reciting "The Caterpillar" is just about the cutest thing ever, btw.) My kids enjoyed it, but it moves *very* slowly.

I would just go straight to their usual grade level in FLL. The higher levels of FLL go over all the same material that is covered in 1 and 2, only more quickly. I would put a rising third grader into FLL3 and a rising fourth grader into FLL4, even if you think it is a weak area for them. There isn't that much writing, and the grammar goes pretty slowly. If you plan to do FLL through the summer into the school year, you will have more than enough time to do extra review as necessary. It probably won't be necessary, however, because review is built into the program. The only thing that might hold you back is if any of your students cannot read on grade level.

Like a pp said, you really don't need to go back to 1 &2, you can easily start in level 3 with no previous grammar background. That is what I did with my 4th grader this past year. I just started him on level 3 and he completed it no problem.

I agree with both posters that said this. I also did FLL 3 with my 4th grader last year, he had no real grammar and very little writing before. He had no problem. My second grader last year ended up doing a lot of it too.

I'd start at grade level also. I'm doing FLL1 with my raising second grader (started toward the end of first). It goes very slowly. I have no problem with it for my younger kids, but for my raising 2nd grader, I'm leaning toward jumping ship and doing FF2 instead. I already have it. ;) So, knowing that it is slow for us, I wouldn't want to have an even older student doing it.

Good luck!

Those ages could do FLL 1/2 in a month, easily. They were written for 6-8 year olds.

If you want to get them a head start on the 3 and 4 books, consider getting the CD with grammar songs on it. Play with it often enough for them to commit those chants and songs to memory. The chants and definitions getting memorized ahead of time would be the only tangible benefit to having an older child use 1/2.

Those ages could do FLL 1/2 in a month, easily. They were written for 6-8 year olds.

If you want to get them a head start on the 3 and 4 books, consider getting the CD with grammar songs on it. Play with it often enough for them to commit those chants and songs to memory. The chants and definitions getting memorized ahead of time would be the only tangible benefit to having an older child use 1/2.

Great idea!!!!