Menu

Do you have to do Alg. II while doing Apologia Chemistry?

My dd will have finished Alg. I before taking Apologia Chemistry. I was thinking she needed to take Alg. II at the same time as the Chemistry? Am I wrong about that? I don't see that mentioned on the Apologia website so I'm not sure where I got that idea.

I am rethinking her math sequence. A math teacher I know suggested that it is best to do Geometry between Alg. I and Alg. II. But, my dd has an opportunity to do a Chemistry lab with a coop. If she has to do Alg. Ii while doing Apologia Chem, then there's no choice. If not, I may change gears and do Geometry next year. Just trying to figure out the best way to go.

Thanks so much for any input.

On the other side of that coin....

I heard nothing but struggles with co-op kids who were in Apologia Chemistry. So much so, I know of two co-ops more not using it this year =/

The science curricula advisor suggested both Algebra 1 & 2 be completed before Apologia Chemistry. Since it's designed for the homeschooler, there are not as many labs, but lots more math.

I was told the reason geometry is between Algebra 1 & 2 is for the PSAT.

Shalom,

Teresa

Thanks, Teresa. It is always helpful to hear both sides of the story. I've heard that reason about Geometry also.

Does anyone know what Apologia recommends about Algebra? (I keep forgetting to call. Maybe I'll remember tomorrow.)

I know in one of your threads gpb chemistry was discussed at length. If your dd went through the 100 level lectures it would help. They do a good job explaining how the math should be done imo. It doesn't match perfectly but I think it would help you make your geometry decision.

No, she definately does not need to do the gpb lectures to do Apologia chemistry. What I was trying to explain was the first four lectures (101, 102, 103, and 104) would give her (and you) a chance to become comfortable with the algebra requirements for Apologia Chemistry. That is the level for the first seven chapters in Apologia -- which is all that we have completed. Each lecture is going to take less than one hour to complete. I hope this makes more sense, I shouldn't have posted on my way out yhe door!