Menu

Trying to figure out DS; laziness, potential, what does he really know

He rushes to get things done. Zipped through the CAT last week, did it online, and I didn't realize he was doing so. His scores were lower than they should have been, but that's ok, I know where he stands on most things. Or I thought he did. He had a LOT of trouble with math this year. Long division, long multiplication, fractions...huge bomb. We have been focusing on memorizing multiplication tables again to help things move smoother for him, which does seem to be working. I expected a low score on computation. He rushed through it...4th stanine. 7th stanine, rushing, for concepts...so he obviously has some idea what he is doing. Now here's what just hit me. He didn't write anything down. I saw about two problems from the computation section on paper. DD actually took the same test as he did bc the CAT is the same for those entering 4th-6th grades. She got like 45 correct, and she had work through each problem, write them down, etc...she was 98th percentile for computation for a kid entering 4th. He got like 43 correct, which while landing him in a low percentile for a kid entering 6th, has thrown me. How did he get so many correct without writing anything down??? What am I missing here, or what he is pulling? I would have always said he is 'gifted' in the reading department, but never suspected math bc of various issues. Or maybe the issue is laziness. :/

My ds didn't want to use a scratch paper for his standardized test. I encouraged him to use one, but he insisted on doing all the problems in his head. Turns out that I was able to use the situation to demonstrate that he needed to show his work. He missed alot of the easier problems because of miscalculations in his head. Now, he has to show me all his work in his daily math. :laugh:

I can't understand from your siggy what math program you are using. But your DS is 11, right? And you said you put a focus on memorizing times tables this year? I'm wondering if maybe the math program you use is focusing on learning traditional algorithms, but maybe your son is capable of doing more math mentally. I have an example of what this looks like in subtraction here on my blog.

We have been through MUS, SM, LOF (which he liked but didn't get it all, presumably bc of the Facts not being memorized.) He did awesome with RS early on but we switched for a few reasons. He really enjoyed LOF bc of the literary aspect. I should let him so some of that again too.

He does do well in his head with that RS foundation, but I feel like it's too late to go back down that path. My plan right now is Develomental Math this summer to solidify long mult and div, with hopes of picking up Teaching Textbooks 6 or 7 in the fall.

He does great with concepts. He does add/sub in his head all the time.

If concepts are a strength, my instinct would be to teach through and develop that strength with a program that is heavier, deeper on concepts and problem-solving (TT would not make my list). If SM is not on the table, you might consider MM, possibly the blue topic books. MM has lots of mental math though I'm not sure where it would be in the blue books.

We are using MM now. I'd say it's "meh" for him.

I'm thinking now of TT and LOF, a good balance for him. I think the computer teacher will have much more patience for him than I do, lol.

Also thinking of Beast Academy 4 when it comes out as a supplement, since it has challenging problem-solving.