Menu

If DC is qualified for Talent search already, is it worth it to test again?

I'm questioning on whether to register DD for the EXPLORE again next year. She got great scores this year-enough to make her eligible for pretty much any program she wants until she reaches middle school. But she didn't max out the test, and I like having a standardized test on file each year (she doesn't officially have to test next year since she's a 4th grader-5th grade is the next big testing year). And this year, she could test through TIPS and be eligible for awards locally.

Is it worth it to have her test again on the EXPLORE since she hasn't hit ceilings there yet? Or would there be something else that would be a better fit? When would be a good time to jump to the SAT/ACT?

I haven't bothered re-testing with the EXPLORE but we have to either travel out-of-state or arrange individual administration through Belin-Blank. DD will probably take the SAT next year in 6th. I'm concerned about the upcoming revision to the SAT because of Common Core and I want to hopefully get a score that CTY will accept on DD's record before the College Board starts changing the test.

ETA: Last year in 4h, we didn't bother testing DD. This year in 5th, she did the 8th grade ITBS. The ITBS is more useful for planning purposes IMHO than the EXPLORE.

We've done explore 2 years now. This year in 6th since ds was close to ceilings, he'll do the SAT.

I figure the practice with standardized testing is good. This gives experience with a different environment than home testing. So it really depends on your reasons for testing.

I do not see any benefit in yearly tests if it is not required. There will be plenty of required tests later on.

My DD took the SAT for the first time in 7th grade. Since the math section tests algebra 1 and geometry, I would not subject a student to the test until she had studied those.

I do not believe that taking more standardized tests in middle school would have been in any way beneficial for all the testing DD had to do in high school for college admission. The one 7th grade SAT was sufficient to prepare her for the unpleasantness of the testing experience.

The one 7th grade SAT was sufficient to prepare her for the unpleasantness of the testing experience.

And that's exactly where it depends on the kid. For me, testing was always kind of fun... it was a way to challenge myself. I think my son feels similarly. If he had any sense of dread about the tests, I'd be thinking very carefully before having him test additional times.

My thinking is that as long as we can afford it and it doesn't cause him distress, why not put him in the actual testing experience so it's not scary in any way when the tests count?

DD will be in Singapore DM 8 by the time she takes the SAT so I think she'll have seen enough of the math to not freak out about it. A lot of the problems IIRC are actually pretty similar to the ones in the 4th-6th grade Singapore IP and CWP.

I'm less concerned about the Common Core revisions to the math portion of the SAT because (A) DD is far more likely to qualify for SET on the verbal than the math to begin with and ( B ) math problems are more objective in nature and there tends to be less room for interpretation as to the correct answer.

And that's exactly where it depends on the kid. For me, testing was always kind of fun... it was a way to challenge myself. I think my son feels similarly. If he had any sense of dread about the tests, I'd be thinking very carefully before having him test additional times.

It is not dread- it is just that the SAT is so darn long. 4.5 hours is just intrinsically unpleasant. There are many other things my kids would rather spend their Saturday mornings on, and for which they'd more readily get up early in the morning.

The whole day is shot for the entire family.

Btw, she did not stress about testing until it "counted". But now that it counts, it is bad. I do not believe one can prepare for this by taking tests while the results don't matter - you can not simulate the stress of "my performance today will determine whether I'll get accepted into the college of my choice".

My thinking is that as long as we can afford it and it doesn't cause him distress, why not put him in the actual testing experience so it's not scary in any way when the tests count?

It is not dread- it is just that the SAT is so darn long. 4.5 hours is just intrinsically unpleasant. There are many other things my kids would rather spend their Saturday mornings on, and for which they'd more readily get up early in the morning.

The whole day is shot for the entire family.

Btw, she did not stress about testing until it "counted". But now that it counts, it is bad. I do not believe one can prepare for this by taking tests while the results don't matter - you can not simulate the stress of "my performance today will determine whether I'll get accepted into the college of my choice".

This is an interesting aspect I'd not been thinking of. I myself didn't fret about tests until I performed poorly on a high-stakes one and had a hard time pulling the score up (this was for grad school apps). And DH didn't either, so far as I know. So I imagine some of it is temperament? and also the perceived importance of getting into the college of one's choice.

Not directly relevant to the OP, but indirectly related I suppose, is the idea of considering both the child's temperament and value you wish to place on choice college acceptances as you go through these testing hoops. Both respond to shaping, but it is slow work.

I think it depends on whether your DD likes testing or not. If she already qualifies for any of the classes she might want to take through talent search, then a retake is not necessary unless she personally wants to see if she can do better. I am speaking from a BTDT perspective with my DS who will be a senior. He has taken multiple tests of EXPLORE, ACT, PSAT and SAT. He ended up with some great scores to send to colleges and hopefully National Merit - EXPLORE wasn't really a benefit after the first time. Also, when you take it through a talent search it is so much pricier. I would move on to the ACT w/writing or get her started with practice PSAT. I wouldn't worry too much about what math she hasn't had yet for the PSAT or ACT because initially it is really about learning time management for the test.