Menu

Latin Prep 2 for rising 6th grader with 3 years of Latin?

I replied when you asked this a while back. LP would probably be all review. So YOu Really Want to Learn Latin 2 would probably be partial review as well as new content.

hmmm, i dont recall seeing your post. Thank you, just what thought!

I replied when you asked this a while back. LP would probably be all review. So YOu Really Want to Learn Latin 2 would probably be partial review as well as new content.

so wait, latin prep and SYRWTLL are different? I'm confused.

Eta: ok, just checked. I was confused. So latin prep is more elementary and SYRWTLL is more middle school, yes? Thanks. I think SYRWTLL 2 will be just right.

so wait, latin prep and SYRWTLL are different? I'm confused.

Eta: ok, just checked. I was confused. So latin prep is more elementary and SYRWTLL is more middle school, yes? Thanks. I think SYRWTLL 2 will be just right.

Latin Prep starts at the beginning and is for age about 10-13. SY Latin starts from the beginning at about age 13 but goes further in the three years.

L

My younger started GSWL a couple of months ago and really likes Latin. I have the Latin Prep 1 books which I was planning on doing next. At that point, if I wanted to switch to SYRWTLL does he still enter at book 1? Instead, if he wants to continue with the Latin Prep 2 and 3 books, what SYRWLL level would he enter at then?

Thanks! (sorry for the small hijack)

Ruth in NZ

My younger started GSWL a couple of months ago and really likes Latin. I have the Latin Prep 1 books which I was planning on doing next. At that point, if I wanted to switch to SYRWTLL does he still enter at book 1? Instead, if he wants to continue with the Latin Prep 2 and 3 books, what SYRWLL level would he enter at then?

Thanks! (sorry for the small hijack)

Ruth in NZ

The publisher of Latin Prep, who was also the writer of SY Latin, recommends the following sequence:

LP 1, 2, 3 then SY 3 (to review and extend).

I did LP 1 and 2 then we did the first half of LP3 twice because we had moved too fast and needed to consolidate.

I think that other people have alternated the books for extra reinforcement, so LP1, SY1, LP2, SY2, etc.

In general, SY covers what LP covers plus a bit, so you can't go wrong doing the same number of SY after LP. Transferring from LP1 to SY 2, however, might make problems as there might be gaps.

L

What about moving into this series after Lively Latin 2?

I always recommend starting at the beginning of the series: move fast at the beginning if you like (and skip the workbooks) but it will be good review and the English to Latin translation quickly becomes demanding.

Laura

I always recommend starting at the beginning of the series: move fast at the beginning if you like (and skip the workbooks) but it will be good review and the English to Latin translation quickly becomes demanding.

Laura

Thanks, good to know! It will probably take most of this coming year for him to finish LL2 (they don't call it "the big book" for nothing! LOL!) but I like to know "what comes next?"

• 2 weeks later...

So if a rising 6th grader will have completed LP 1, 2 & most of 3, he could move into SYRWTLL 3 for reinforcement and some extension. Where could he go after that?

At that point s/he will be able to start reading classical texts. I can't help you with text books for that - you might want to ask on the high school board.

L

At that point s/he will be able to start reading classical texts. I can't help you with text books for that - you might want to ask on the high school board.

L

Ok thanks. And I should thank you twice over because you turned us on to LP in the first place. DS loves it so much, he has been working happily and quickly through it the last several years. :)