Menu

CLE LA vs. WTM suggestions for 2nd grade

m0mmaBuck

I am considering switching DD from CLE LA 2 into the WTM suggestions of FLL, WWE, and Spelling Workout (or Spelling Power). DD has done well with CLE LA 100 and it is very easy to teach but she hates it. We tried FLL, WWE, and Spelling Workout with DS but he hated that so I have it sitting on my shelf. They are very different in their learning styles and personalities so I think she would actually enjoy the latter.

However, I am concerned that DH will not embrace the style of FLL especially but also WWE since they are more teacher intensive and less open-and-go fill-in-the-blank workbook style.

So do I stick with CLE for the ease for the teachers or do I switch to the other and tell DH to suck it up?

i think I would let your dh look over FLL and WWE and then maybe do one or two lessons of each with him (let him teach you maybe) and see what he thinks. I think it is preferable for both the student and teacher to be able to use the materials without hating it. If he actually hates FLL and WWE, I would look around a bit more and see if I could find something that better suits them both. I have found that, sometimes, no matter what I use, my sons will say they hate it because they would just rather play.

I switched my youngest from CLE LA to WTM and he dislikes it equally as much. I'm thinking about going back to CLE. Is your DH teaching it? They really do cover the same concepts. It is just a different presentation.

I use WWE1 and FFL1 they are teacher intensive BUT they take about 15 minutes all up, less on a copy work day. Does your dh teach some or all? Unless you have huge numbers of kids he should be able to manage. Maybe the reason they hate CLE is lack of teacher involvement. Maybe not. Maybe as another poster said they just want to play.