Menu

8yo niece hospitalized for pneumonia

m0mmaBuck

My 8 yo severely autistic (does not speak, communicates through pictures and can understand simple 3-4 work instructions) neice was hospitalized Monday for pneumonia. She was extremely lethargic until the IV antibiotics seemed to start working and then she became a little more active (self-stim behaviors returned, watching videos with family,etc.). Last night she was restless/combative and pulled out her IV's numerous time. Today her fever is back and the newest set of xrays showed an increase in plural effusion and her O2 sats are dropping so she is in surgery to have chest tubes placed.

I am wondering if they will sedate her to keep her from pulling at the tubes vs. restraining her physically. It seems like they will have to do something to keep her from pulling them out. Neither has been discussed with my brother-in-law or his wife yet.

And if you are still reading, could you maybe say a prayer or send good vibes their way? Thanks.

They make soft restraints that can keep her from being able to bend her elbow to keep her from pulling out her iv. Most children's hospitals have a variety of techniques to keep kids from yanking lines. Child life can also be brought in for additional support.

Sending prayers!!!!

What is Child life?

I'm sorry she is going to need surgery.

Child life, in children's hospitals, specialize in meeting needs of kids. This can mean emotional support, schooling needs, special medical stuff particular to the child such as preparing for procedures, social things, play etc. It would be really good to be connected to them in this situation, if that hasn't already happened. They would hopefully "know" autism.

I will pray for your niece and family.