Menu

Looking for a study of Native Americans for a 5th grader

cajunrose

My almost 10 year old is wanting to learn about Native Americans. We have just moved to a very Native American heavy area and it has spiked her interest. I don't want the rosy "they all sat down to a lovely thanksgiving meal" version. I want the real stuff...what really happened. She's delayed in reading and listening comprehension so keep that in mind. Where do I start in looking for this?

Thanks

Stephenie

If you happen to be in the Phoenix area, I suggest a trip to the Heard Museum. Follow up by attending a pow-wow.

Any Native area, check with the local reservations, many have open cultural activities and/or museums.

We are really enjoying the old Childcraft Inidan book.

I am using this book as a spine of sorts to design a unit study on Native Americans. We will also stick a two week study of Kaya (the American Girl doll) in there as well. I've almost got everything finalized and would be happy to share my plans with you if you would like. My Native American pinterest board is here if you want to see what I've gathered so far.