Menu

Does anyone actually *use* the writing portion of Shurley?

Mommy7

I am trying to figure out my schedule for next year. I can't get the writing thing figured out. I want to use MC, but not sure how to do that while teaching Shurley English. I know I can substitute MC for the Shurley Writing part for that one day, but what about the other days? It would be so easy because I wouldn't have to figure out how to coordinate two programs. But, the question is...would I be happy with the writing? I've used Shurley a bunch and have always skipped the writing.

So, has anyone used the Shurley writing portion and liked it?

Hmmm...lots of them and not enough of me! (teaching 6 dc) Anyone ever feel like that?

Thanks!

We did. We only used Shurley for a year, though. It taught my kids tons. I was very hapy with it. HOWEVER, I soon quit doing it on the schedule in the book. The kids did it spread out over the work. Otherwise the writing day was way too ridiculously long.

We did the writing. Skipped some weeks. Usually when none of the topics appealed to the dc's which made things start awful. Rather than suffer I had IEW topic books that I substituted either that day or the next. Lol

Thank you for responding. So, did you feel the writing had enough detail to lead you step by step?

I own several of the levels, but I have never used the writing part and sometimes the implementation of things can be different than how it *looks*.

Yes, it ws excellent for teaching step by step. We were coming from Sonlight language arts which was way to gentle and so my kids could barely write coherent paragraphs. In no time at all with Shurley the then 10 year old was writing 3 paragraph essays with ease.

Hi Becky, we did Shurley for years but did separate writing. Break the Shurley lessons up if they get long. We never spent more than 10 minutes at a time doing Shurley. For writing, ALL your kids are old enough to have a once a week session with you and then an assignment with clear structure that they return, fully done, the following week. Guess that's sort of dependent on getting a writing curriculum that's structured for that. I haven't seen MC. CW, WT, WWS, any of those work with that once a week thing. Think what you would do if it were a co-op and you were the teacher, and teach the MC that way. You can probably figure it out. It's good for your kids to have assignments with deadlines. :)