Menu

Looking at Apples & Pears (font question)

If you use Apples & Pears or Dancing Bears, what do you do about the font?

So far, we've used a ZB-like font (though not strict about it) -- but Sound Foundations uses a font similar to D'Nealian (though I can't remember it's proper name right now).

Do you continue with your "regular" handwriting? Switch over to all-UK font style? Only use that style when doing Apples & Pears?

DD has terrible handwriting (pencil-resistant until just lately), so I wouldn't mind switching completely over to another style and really focusing our handwriting practice. If we use Apples & Pears, I might would use something like D'Nealian for consistency (I did find some printables on Sparklebox for the font Sound Foundations uses....)

What do you do? :)

Geezle was older when we started, but still had reversals and forgot how to start some letters. I printed off many copies of their handwriting practice sheet and had him trace 5 times each time he had a problem. He's gotten much, much better by using just A&P.

I just let my children continue using their regular font. The regular manuscript on top of the D'nealian looked funny, but it worked. :001_smile:

Of course, I loathe D'nealian. My elementary school switched from regular manuscript to D'nealian when I started 3rd grade, and it traumatized me for life. :lol: I just couldn't figure out the point of all the extra loops and swirls, and my 9 yo self thought it looked stupid. ;) It was probably the manuscript change at the beginning of the year followed immediately by a change to cursive that tripped me up. Penmanship was a challenge that year. Ahh the memories.... :001_rolleyes:

I think the font is Sassoon (it's what most UK stuff uses).

That sounds familiar... maybe Sassoon Primary?

Well, my DD (7) has declared this font to be fancy and she likes it. :p

So maybe I'll let her switch completely. We haven't been consistent with any penmanship yet, and I really don't care what we use as long as it's legible...

We use Getty-Dubay Italics for print and almost all of the letters are the same as what Apples and Pears uses except for the "k" I think. We just write the way they write. If I'm not mistaken most of the tracing stops after the first book.

If I'm not mistaken most of the tracing stops after the first book.

The tracing of letters decreases significantly by the time you reach Book B. There is still a bit, but it isn't a ton. My DD did HWT for her regular handwriting. While doing A&P she would usually just trace it how they printed it, but when it was time to write on her own, she used her regular handwriting.

I really loathe that style. My DS learned D'Nealean when he went to school and it took forever to "cure" him of those monkey tails at the end of the letters.