Menu

We have three parakeet eggs!!!

AdamsFamily

We are excited at my house. Our parakeet laid three eggs. We have a pair, so there is a good possibility they are fertile. Her first egg came while she was out and about in the cage. It hit the bottom of the cage and broke. She laid the next two in her nesting box and has been tending to them constantly. It is interesting to watch the dynamics between her and her mate.

We already had a cuttle bone in the cage, but now we also give her oyster shells. The third egg came about four days after the second egg, but I realized the birds weren't getting enough light. We started keeping a light on over their cage during the day for the past couple of days, and she laid the third one today. We have tried giving them fruit and vegetables, but they ignore them. They only eat their regular seeds, millet, and treats made from their seeds, peanut butter, and honey.

Have any of you raised parakeets or other budgies from eggs? Do you have any advice for us? Thanks!

EDT: I should add that we already have chickens, so we have a little knowledge about raising birds. Of course chickens are not parakeets! :)

I don't know anything about birds, but I have to ask. Is it common for a bird to be "out and about" and just have an egg come out? I mean don't they feel it coming? Or is it like, "Oh my! What the heck just fell out of my rear end? Maybe I should go sit down for awhile."

LOL kleineHex..

I don't know anything either. We have an incubator going and just hatched two sweet adorable little quail. We can see another coming out of the shell in there. We are in hog heaven. We just googled and watched a lot of YouTube videos for information. It is very exciting!

I don't know anything about birds, but I have to ask. Is it common for a bird to be "out and about" and just have an egg come out? I mean don't they feel it coming? Or is it like, "Oh my! What the heck just fell out of my rear end? Maybe I should go sit down for awhile."

:lol: I think the first one is often a surprise. They don't always know what to do once the first clutch hatches, so we may end up hand feeding them. She was familiar with her nesting box, and she went there to lay her next couple of eggs. She is sitting on them now. I also read that they won't sit on the eggs until there are at least two. Poor firstborn!