Menu

question re: copy work & dictation

Pster

If I copy a paragraph from a CS Lewis bk for dd7 to use as copy work and then a day or 2 later use that as dictation..... how should I handle spelling or punctuation errors?

When should corrections be made when doing copy work (as they write it?) and when should they be done when we are doing it as a dictation?

thanks

Mistakes in copywork need to be corrected as they make it if possible (be there) or right after they finish. My standard for copywork is to rewrite the whole selection if there is more than 1 mistake because I want the "correct" version to be in my child's head instead of their mistake.

Mistakes in dictation need to be addressed right away too if you go by CM standards, the same principle- you don't want the mistake in your child's head.

I'm sure you'll get more responses.

You can do this several ways, it's really up to you, but here's what I do:

For copywork, when occasional errors are made, I let my dc just erase & fix them. For larger errors, they have to re-do the passage.

For dictation, I edit/correct the passage after child has wriiten it. I use the proofreading marks from Spelling Workout, and go over it with my dc. If there is just a small error (say, a comma needs to be inserted), or one spelling error, I let him erase & fix. Otherwise the entire sentence is rewritten underneath.

I present this as a normal part of the lesson, so that they don't feel it's a punishment to re-write the sentence. Out of 3 sentences given, my dc usually have to re-write one of them.

If your child is making repeated errors, or is frustrated with a dictation exercise, this is a good indicator that you're beyond his level, and need to choose something easier.

One other thing: I've never given an entire paragraph to a 7-year old for dictation. Is she pretty advanced? Just remember that the dictation level will always be below the copywork level for your children. Maybe you could choose one sentence from the paragraph for dictation.

My personal philosophy is that copywork is to learn to pay close attention to details. I require it to be re-written if there are ANY mistakes. The key here is to make sure that the length of the selection is appropriate for the skill level of the child. If there are consistently mistakes, then the selection is too long for the learning objective.

For dictation, it depends on which child and what type of mistake how I deal with it. I don't want to limit my selections by vocabulary, so for my extremely weak spellers, we simply deal with the spelling corrections. Other mistakes (mechanics), I deal with in a more strict manner. I teach from copywork.....they are taught exactly why the sentence is punc, cap., etc the way it is. I make them correct it, but then I require either an original sentence implementing the rule correctly or writing the rule itself.....depends.

I copied a paragraph (it was only about 4 sentences). I told her to copy whatever she could in about 10 minutes. I'm not sure how she will do since I'm just now trying it this way..... At least with having the timer on she is focused!! (so that is a plus!)

You said your dd is 7 years old. I think a paragraph is too much for 7 years old. At that age, a sentence is good. You should stay with her and as soon as she makes the mistake you need to have her erase it and spell the word correctly. At 7 years old, she needs to learn how to write the sentence and see it written correctly. She needs a few year before she starts on a paragraph.

I usually have my son copy the same sentence for the week in order to help him get use to writing it. Then at the end of the week, I dictate the same sentence to him.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

She did got 3 of the sentences done. She did pretty well (wrote "was" twice by mistake and had indented a sentence on a line when she didn't need to).

I agree it is probably too long of a copy work to be done daily. I had her pick one sentence from that for us to focus on as her copy work and dictation sentence for the week. Focusing on one sentence for the week is definitely a good idea.....focusing on more than that for dictation would have been too much.

If she had more mistakes during the writing of the "paragraph" I definitely wouldn't have cut down on things.

thanks for the ideas