Menu

Need Suggestions Math Word problem supplement

My oldest 2 daughters are doing great at math computation but need a little more work on word problems. Does anyone have a suggestion, probably a workbook, to use as a supplement for math word problems? I am thinking we will do this over the summer. I don't really want a curriculum per say, just a supplement. Any ideas? They will in 2nd and 3rd grade next year, plus I will also have a 1st grader. Thanks.

Kumon's Word Problems series have problems that are a bit more straightforward than Singapore CWP.

I have also heard good things about the supplementary Singapore book Process Skills in Problem Solving for being similar to CWP only with step-by-step explanations to walk the child through solving the word problem. I don't have any personal experience with that series, however.

I agree with the recommendation of Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. I think that the Level 1 book is skippable, particularly if you have a young Gr. 1 student. Some people find it best to use the CWPs a half-year to full year behind -- some of the problems really are challenging!

I use the Process Skills in Problem Solving books before the CWPs, because they provide very explicit, incremental instruction in how to select problem-solving strategies and, most importantly for me, how to set up bar models. They are not a replacement for the CWP, but they are an excellent lead-in. If you decide to use the CWPs, and the bar models aren't intuitive for you or your student, then I recommend getting the PSPS books and starting there.

Another word problem resource we've used and enjoyed is Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math.

I like the "70 Must-Know Word Problems" series. Some here have been highly critical of them (something about typical stupid Americans always dumbing things down LOL) but I think they are great. Like anything, choose the level that matches your kid. CWP is most often used a year behind, but it doesn't get criticized as being too hard. Just choose the level that's appropriate. My 5th grader struggles with word problems so we started with level 3 (marked as grade 4, whatever) and they are the right level of challenge for him.

There is a crash-course in bar modeling at the beginning, and the answers in the back show how to solve each problem with bar models. I actually started out with "Step-by-Step Bar Models" which starts from the very beginning, and walks you through solving with bar models through each lesson.