Menu

Talent Search Choices

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I have a couple questions about talent search options, based partly on the below:

Check online. Duke TIPS, Northwestern NUMATS, Johns Hopkins CTY, University of Iowa BESTS, Carnegie-Mellon C-MITES, and others. Each offer out of level testing and other programs, including online or live classes, and usually other programs also accept the testing. If she has top LA scores on the ITBS, she'll qualify-all it takes is scores in one area over the 95th% nationally. If Davidson (which requires being in the 99+%) is a possibility, I'd suggest not going through CTY because the test they use at 4th grade isn't accepted by them, while the EXPLORE (which most of the others use) is.

The nice thing about talent search is that, except for JHU, it doesn't matter which program you test through. Once you get the score, you can mail them a copy of the scores and use them for whatever classes are a good fit, even if it isn't your "home" program.

OK, so it seems our "home" program is CTY. :p She will most likely qualify for Davidson, so I'd like to have her do the EXPLORE next year (3rd grade). I don't fully understand what the geographical areas covered by each really means, if anyone can use any of them.

1) If CTY is our "home" program, do the others still offer EXPLORE testing here? Some or all of them? If not, how does she do it?

2) Is there any reason to ALSO do the CTY qualifying? For example, I would think that they might have local opportunities, whereas the others would not. Is this true? And, if not, do they have something else that the others do not that would make it worthwhile to do both?

Thanks in advance. I don't know why I find this so confusing.

2) Is there any reason to ALSO do the CTY qualifying? For example, I would think that they might have local opportunities, whereas the others would not. Is this true? And, if not, do they have something else that the others do not that would make it worthwhile to do both?

If your dd has the potential to do very well (& I'm assuming she does since you mention the possibility of Davidson qualification), then additional benefits of testing through CTY that we found were:

qualifying for CTY's SET (you can also do this just by sending SAT scores obtained through another talent search or even on your own, but it's automatic if you test through their talent search)

special recognition for coming in 1st or 2nd place statewide in math, critical reading, or overall score

special recognition & prize for coming in 1st nationwide in any category (used to be $100 Barnes and Noble gift card)

special one-course scholarship to take a free class at a local college (now, while they're still kids!) A few of these were given out at each award ceremony, usually to the SET level kids. That would be a local-only benefit.

some high scoring kids are offered scholarships to CTY summer programs

I expect we'll test through CTY when DD is ready for the SAT for the SET reasons. We did test using the SCAT at 1st grade, and it simply wasn't all that helpful at the time (but at the time, she really didn't like online classes, and there was nothing close).

On whether any other program offers the EXPLORE near you, I'd expect some might, but you likely won't be able to tell until registration opens for next year.

C-MITES offers the EXPLORE starting in 3rd and has no geographical restrictions. That's the one DD did and we'll most likely go through it again with DS if we decide to have him take the EXPLORE. We did have to travel out-of-state, however, to take the EXPLORE (combined it with a long weekend trip that we presumably would've taken anyways).

My understanding is that families can arrange for an individual administration of the EXPLORE through Belin-Blank but doing that requires having a credentialed teacher proctor the exam. I know folks who have said they did this, but I'm not familiar with the specific details.

Good to know; thanks. I will make a note to check out C-MITES when it is time to register. We do travel to neighboring states, as well. I hadn't thought of taking the test out of state, but if necessary we could plan a trip we would take anyway around doing so. Thanks!